Advertisement

‘We are in this together’: Prince Andrew told Epstein

Prince Andrew's infamous BBC interview

Source: Newsnight

Britain’s Prince Andrew reportedly told Jeffrey Epstein “we are in this together” in an email three months after he said he had stopped contact with the paedophile US financier.

Britain’s Sun On Sunday and Mail On Sunday report the email was sent on February 28, 2011 – the day after the infamous photograph of Andrew with Epstein-accuser Virginia Giuffre was published.

Andrew told BBC Newsnight that he broke off his friendship with Epstein in December 2010.

“I’m just as concerned for you! Don’t worry about me!” the prince wrote in the message, according to the papers.

“It would seem we are in this together and will have to rise above it.

“Otherwise keep in close touch and we’ll play some more soon!!!!”

Andrew, the King’s younger brother, is said to have signed off with “A, HRH The Duke of York, KG”.

He stepped away from his public role in 2019 amid the furore over his friendship with the convicted billionaire paedophile.

Virgina Giuffre Prince Andrew Epstein

Virginia Giuffre was one of the most prominent victims of disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein. Photo: AAP

He later paid millions to settle a civil sexual assault case with Giuffre, who was trafficked by Epstein as a teenager and who Andrew claimed never to have met.

Giuffre, who had moved to Western Australia, died by suicide earlier this year, aged 41.

The Duke of York has always denied any wrongdoing.

In January this year, a section of the email emerged in court documents, which at the time was reported to be from a “royal family member”.

The claim was made by Britain’s Financial Conduct Authority in court documents for a legal battle against former Barclays chief executive Jes Staley.

Staley had appealed against a finding by the watchdog that he gave a misleading account of the nature of his relationship with Epstein, and denies doing so.

In an amended statement of the case, the FCA said features of the relationship between Epstein and Staley showed they were “close”, and that emails sent between the pair were “inconsistent with a business relationship”.

These included Epstein making “numerous introductions and recommendations for Staley”, including with the royal family member, and calling each other “family” in some emails.

“On 15 June 2010, Epstein emailed a member of the British royal family noting: ‘if you can find time to show jes around with vera that would be fun, he told me he ran into you tonight’,” the FCA said.

“The royal family member replied asking who Vera was and noting that he had seen Jes in Harry’s Bar and would contact him in the morning.

“Mr Epstein replied on 15 June 2010 noting that Vera was ‘my future ex wife, i know jes and she would love to see home’.

“The royal family member replied on the same date that he was having ‘dinner with Jes tomorrow evening’.”

It continued: “On 27 February 2011, Mr Epstein emailed a member of the British royal family ‘jes staley will be in London on next tue afternoon, if you have time’.

“The recipient replied the following day ‘Jes is coming on 1st March or next week?’ and then following discussion of press articles ‘keep in close touch and we’ll play some more soon!!!!’ “.

In an interview with BBC’s Newsnight, Andrew said: “I ceased contact with him (Epstein) after I was aware that he was under investigation and that was later in 2006 and I wasn’t in touch with him again until 2010.”

Epstein Woody Allen

Epstein was found dead in a Manhattan jail in August 2019. Photo: AAP

He later said that in December 2010: “I had to show leadership and I had to go and see him and I had to tell him, ‘That’s it’.”

Epstein was found dead in his cell at a federal jail in Manhattan, in the US, in August 2019 while he awaited trial on sex-trafficking charges.

The death was ruled a suicide.

Prince Andrew’s office has been contacted for comment.

Lifeline 131 114

beyondblue 1300 224 636

1800 RESPECT 1800 737 732

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

—AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.