Advertisement

Son of Norway’s crown princess charged with rape

Marius Borg Hoiby could face up to 10 years in prison if found guilty of the most serious charges.

Marius Borg Hoiby could face up to 10 years in prison if found guilty of the most serious charges. Photo: AAP

The son of Norway’s crown princess has been charged with rape, domestic violence, assault and other crimes following a year-long police investigation, an Oslo prosecutor says.

Marius Borg Hoiby, 28, son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit and stepson to Crown Prince Haakon, is expected to stand trial early next year.

He could face up to 10 years in prison if found guilty of the most serious charges, the prosecutor said.

Hoiby denies the most serious accusations against him, but planned to plead guilty to some lesser charges in court when the trial started, his lawyer Petar Sekulic told Reuters.

“He does not agree with the claims regarding rape and domestic violence,” Sekulic said.

Hoiby has no royal title and is outside the line of royal succession.

“It is up to the courts to hear this case and to reach a decision,” the royal palace said in a statement.

Police in November 2024 held Hoiby in detention for a week as part of the investigation.

He was charged on Monday (local time) with 32 criminal offences, including one count of rape with sexual intercourse and three counts of rape without intercourse, some of which he filmed on his telephone, the prosecution said.

“It’s up to the judges to decide if he is guilty,” Prosecutor Sturla Henriksboe said.

In August last year, police named Hoiby as a suspect in an alleged physical assault against a woman with whom he had been in a relationship.

In a statement at the time, Hoiby admitted to causing bodily harm to the woman while he was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol and of damaging her apartment. He said he regretted his acts.

Hoiby is the son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit from a relationship prior to her marriage in 2001 to Crown Prince Haakon, Norway’s future king.

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.