Advertisement

Prince Harry, Meghan and Netflix extend partnership

Source: Netflix

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have extended their partnership with Netflix with a multiyear, first-look deal and more culinary adventures on the cards.

However, the latest deals falls short of the $US100 million ($A153 million), five-year agreement the Duke and Duchess of Sussex struck in 2020, in which Netflix paid for exclusive rights to all their content.

The couple’s media company Archewell has produced a handful of documentary content, including the explosive Harry & Meghan, since it began collaborating with the streaming giant.

The Duchess of Sussex also developed a lifestyle brand, As Ever, in partnership with Netflix.

The collaboration has also produced the documentary series’ Polo, Heart of Invictus and Live to Lead.

“My husband and I feel inspired by our partners who work closely with us and our Archewell Productions team to create thoughtful content across genres that resonates globally, and celebrates our shared vision,” Meghan said on Tuesday (Australian time).

The couple and Netflix also announced upcoming collaborations, including a second season of With Love, Meghan, a lifestyle and cooking show starring the duchess.

The show will also receive a special holiday episode in December.

The show is Netflix’s most-watched culinary show since its March release, according to the company.

It ranked low compared to other releases in the first half of this year, with 5.3 million views, according to Netflix’s semiannual report.

Masaka Kids, A Rhythm Within, a documentary short film that centres on a small orphanage in Uganda’s Masaka region, is also set to release this year.

Archewell is also in production with Netflix on a feature adaptation of Carley Fortune’s novel Meet Me at the Lake.

The drama “follows a decade-spanning love story that begins with a chance encounter and a broken promise”, the statement read.

“Harry and Meghan are influential voices whose stories resonate with audiences everywhere. The response to their work speaks for itself,” Netflix chief content officer Bela Bajaria said.

The Sussexes’ extended deal with Netflix is the latest in their years-long effort to develop business ventures in the US.

However, it comes with less commitment from Netflix, according to Forbes, which reports that reflects the streamer’s move away from all-encompassing agreements.

AFP reports that a “first-look deal” means Netflix has the right to say yes or no to a project before Archewell can shop it around other studios. Such deals are typically worth less than exclusive arrangements, although they also provide producers with more flexibility.

Harry and Meghan previously also had a multiyear deal with Spotify in 2020 and produced a podcast, Archetypes.

That arrangement was whispered to be worth upwards of $30 million, but those ties were cut in 2023. In the days afterwards, Spotify executive Bill Simmons famously described the Sussexes as “grifters”.

“‘The f—ing grifters’ — that’s the podcast we should have launched with them,” he said on his own podcast.

“I gotta get drunk one night and tell the story of the Zoom I had with Harry to try and help him with a podcast idea. It’s one of my best stories.”

Harry and Meghan live in California with their two young children, five years after departing royal duties.

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.