Advertisement

Janet Jackson refused to appear in new Michael biopic

Source: Variety

Singer Janet Jackson reportedly turned down a chance to appear in the much-hyped biopic Michael, according to her sister.

Janet’s sister, fellow singer LaToya Jackson, made the claim while speaking at the premiere of the Antoine Fuqua-directed film Michael, which charts the life of their brother Michael Jackson.

“I wish everybody was in the movie. [Janet] was asked and she kindly declined, so you have to respect her wishes,” LaToya told Variety in Los Angeles on Monday (US time).

Michael features the late king of pop’s nephew Jaafar Jackson – the son of another Jackson sibling, Jermaine – in the title role. Colman Domingo plays the siblings’ father, Joe Jackson, and Nia Long appears as their mother, Katherine.

Jessica Sula plays LaToya, while Juliano Valdi portrays a younger version of Michael.

The biopic covers Jackson’s childhood in The Jackson 5 through his rise to global superstardom. It also reportedly shows his personal life behind the music.

The film, which is released in Australian cinemas on Thursday, was made with the involvement of Jackson’s estate. His son Prince Jackson is executive producer, although his siblings Bigi Jackson and Paris Jackson are not involved.

Celebrity gossip website TMZ reports that Paris Jackson has previously said she sent notes on the early draft of the script, but was ignored.

Paris is reportedly in a legal dispute with her father’s estate and its executors, John Branca and John McClain. TMZ reports she has questioned how the money is being handled and accused the pair of “mocking and belittling her concerns”.

Fuqua, however, has emphasised the collaborative approach with the Jackson family for the keenly awaited biopic.

“You’re telling somebody’s life – you want to make sure that they’re happy,” he said.

But Paris Jackson has publicly criticised the film in a video shared on social media.

“The film panders to a very specific section of my dad’s fandom that still lives in the fantasy. And they’re going to be happy with it,” she said.

Fuqua also spoke about Janet Jackson’s absence.

“I have so much respect and love for Janet, but you know it’s OK. She’s supportive of Jaafar and that’s what matters,” he said.

Source: Lionsgate Movies

LaToya praised Jaafar’s performance in the film.

“Oh my gosh, I have to tell you that Jaafar was absolutely fabulous. I’m sure you’ve seen the movie and you know how wonderful he is, how we all forget and think that we’re watching Mike. It’s like, ‘Oh, I forgot this is Jaafar’,” she said.

Michael’s production was somewhat troubled and it is said to have required up to $US15 million ($A21 million) in reshoots. Scenes depicting allegations made by Jordan Chandler against Jackson were removed, because a prior settlement barred the inclusion or reference to him in any film.

Elsewhere, critics have lashed out at the film for “whitewashing” the accusations, which dogged Michael until his drug overdose death in 2009 at the age of 50.

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.