Advertisement

‘So cute’: Rebel Wilson’s praise before fiery court battle

Source: AAP

Star Rebel Wilson has praised her directorial debut as she prepares to defend herself in a blockbuster defamation case brought by the film’s star.

The Pitch Perfect actior directed, co-produced and starred in The Deb, a musical comedy set in rural NSW, the release of which was delayed due to various legal battles.

Sydney-born Wilson is being sued by lead actor Charlotte MacInnes over social media posts claiming she confided in Wilson that she had felt uncomfortable with co-producer Amanda Ghost.

MacInnes has denied making the complaint to Wilson and said she had been seriously harmed by Wilson’s suggestions she retracted the alleged comments in return for a lead role and a record deal.

On Monday, as she entered the Federal Court in Sydney on Monday for the first day of a fiery nine-day hearing, Wilson talked up her film.

“I love the movie – The Deb is so cute and amazing,” she said.

“Thank you to everyone who’s going to the cinemas.”

Wilson smiled as she entered the courthouse after flying to Australia from the US at the weekend.

MacInnes claims Wilson’s social media posts damaged her professional reputation and created doubts about her trustworthiness before she could even enjoy the benefits of playing her first lead role in a film.

The posts blamed MacInnes’ alleged lies for blocking the film’s release and portrayed her as selfishly prioritising her own career over the hundreds of cast and crew who toiled on The Deb, according to her statement of claim.

MacInnes is seeking aggravated damages for serious harm, as well as a court order preventing Wilson from repeating the allegedly defamatory claims online.

Wilson accepts in her defence that she uploaded posts that were available to her 11 million followers for 24 hours, but denies that two were about MacInnes.

The Bridesmaids actor maintains MacInnes complained to her about being uncomfortable around Ghost and claims MacInnes was lying when she denied it.

Wilson alleges MacInnes lied to have a positive relationship with Ghost and her co-producers Gregor Cameron and Vince Holden, from which she derived significant career benefits.

View post on Instagram
 

She will take the stand in the second week of the Federal Court hearing, along with her pregnant wife, singer Ramona Agruma.

Wilson also faces a separate legal battle in the NSW Supreme Court brought by Ghost, Cameron and Holden over alleged breaches of contract and damaging statements.

The Deb premiered at Toronto International Film Festival in September 2024 but had been blocked from wider distribution by the ongoing legal disputes.

It was released in Australia on April 9. Some local reviews have praised it as “joyous” and “filthy, fun, but most of all moving”, while another said “many moments fall flat”.

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.