Secret Service’s Tiger Woods ban – even before car crash

Source: Golf.com
Troubled golfer Tiger Woods – who was arrested at the weekend after a “high-speed” car crash in Florida – had already come to the attention of the US Secret Service, it has been revealed.
Wood, who is dating US President Donald Trump’s former daughter-in-law, Vanessa Trump, had been forbidden from driving with her children in the vehicle, according to reports.
Woods was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence after the crash on Jupiter Island in Florida on Saturday (AEDT), about 20 kilometres from his home. It is the fourth time he has been involved in a crash since 2009.
Martin County Sheriff John Budensiek said Woods was overtaking small truck on a two-lane road with 48 km/h speed limit when the accident happened. His Land Rover clipped the back end of the truck’s trailer before rolling on its side.
Neither he nor the truck driver were injured.
“Had there been somebody moving in the opposite direction, we would not be having a conversation saying there were no injuries,” Budensiek said.
“This could’ve been a lot worse.”
Budensiek said Woods – a winner of 15 golf majors – had showed “signs of impairment” after the crash and investigators believed he had taken some kind of medication or drug. However, a breath test that showed no signs of alcohol and Woods refused a urine test.
Woods was held for eight hours and then bailed. He faces charges of driving while intoxicated, damage to property and refusal to submit to a urine test.
Later the same day, The New York Post reported that the golf legend had previously been barred from driving the US President’s grandchildren. Vanessa Trump is the ex-wife of Donald Trump jr and the mother of five of the President’s grandchildren.
A Trump family insider told the Post that Secret Service agents were “certainly not letting Tiger Woods – even without the DUI” drive Trump’s grandkids.
“There would be concern if their kids weren’t being protected by Secret Service,” they said.
His manager at Excel Sports, Mark Steinberg, did not respond to a request for comment on Saturday on Woods’ arrest.
Vanessa Trump, meanwhile, is said to be “not happy at all” following the incident.
“She’s both disappointed and a little bit pissed, if I’m being honest,” a source close to the couple said.
They said Trump considered the situation “a definite red flag.”
“She told him that he’s going to get this sorted out and that she’s going to require that,” the source told the Daily Mail, making it clear that Woods needed to “get things under control” or risk losing the relationship.
Woods had said last week he was trying to get in shape for the Masters on April 9-12, though that was looking unlikely. He turned 50 at the end of last year.
“This body, it doesn’t recover like it did when it was 24, 25,” Woods said then.
He also was days away from a decision on whether to be the next US Ryder Cup captain for the 2027 matches in Ireland.
Now everything is on hold while Woods sorts through his second arrest in nine years, and his most recent car crash.

Golfer Tiger Woods next to his stricken vehicle after Saturday’s crash. Photo: AAP
Budensiek said investigators on the scene believe Woods had taken some kind of medication or drug. He described Woods as lethargic and said the golfer agreed to a breath test that showed no sign of alcohol. By declining the urine test, the sheriff said, officials will never get “definitive results” about what caused the impairment.
That was consistent with his 2017 arrest on a DUI charge in Florida, when Woods was found asleep behind the wheel of a car with the engine running, the right blinker on, two flat tires and light damage to the driver’s side.
Woods said then it was a bad mix of medication. Toxicology reports later revealed the active ingredient for marijuana, two painkillers, a sleep drug and an anti-anxiety drug. There was no alcohol.
The pain medication has been standard fare for golf’s most celebrated — and wounded — player.
After four knee surgeries — the last one a week after he won the US Open with shredded knee ligaments and two stress fractures — Woods had four back surgeries in four years (2014 through 2017) only to return to win the Masters in 2019 in one of golf’s most astonishing comebacks.
And then came the most serious crash of all, in February 2021. His SUV was going 135-140km/h in an area with a speed limit of 72km/h when it veered off a road in the Los Angeles suburbs, rolled down a hill and smacked into a tree.
He was not cited and Los Angeles authorities did not seek a warrant for blood samples. The injuries to his right leg and ankle were extensive — Woods later said amputation was considered — and it was remarkable he even returned to playing.
Woods has never been the same as a golfer since that accident. He has played 11 tournaments in the five years since that crash. Of the four times he finished 72 holes, he hasn’t been closer than 16 shots off the winner.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








