Advertisement

‘Disingenuous’: Kevin Spacey says he’s not actually homeless

Source: Instagram

Actor Kevin Spacey has taken to social media to tell people he’s not living on the streets after an interview he gave with a UK newspaper was published under the headline: “Homeless, cancelled and crooning in Cyprus”.

The story went viral after appearing last week in The Telegraph, with the Oscar winner saying it prompted thousands of people to reach out offering him a place to stay or to ask if he was OK.

“To all of you, just let me first say that I am truly touched by your generosity… but I feel it would be disingenuous of me to allow you to believe that I am indeed homeless in the colloquial sense.”

Spacey said in an Instagram post on Monday (British time) that he had told journalist Mick Brown he was “basically living in hotels and Airbnbs and going where the work is, just as I did when I first started out in this business”.

“I’ve been working nearly non-stop this entire year and, for that, I have so much to be grateful for,” he said.

Spacey won best-actor Oscars for his performances in The Usual Suspects (1996) and American Beauty (2000), and is well-known for playing ruthless politician Francis Underwood in the hit Netflix drama House of Cards.

However, his career suffered a major blow in 2017 when an American singer and actor accused him of sexual misconduct over an incident that allegedly occurred almost 30 years earlier.

A string of men have since accused the 66-year-old of sexual assault or inappropriate behaviour – including Australian actor Guy Pearce, who claimed Spacey harassed him on the set of the 1997 film LA Confidential.

Spacey has denied all allegations, and in July 2023 a London court found him not guilty of assaulting four men after a four-week trial.

In recent years he has tried to rebuild his career, and The Telegraph article described how he performed a live show titled Songs and Stories at a nightclub in Cyrus this month.

The club had spruiked the show as “a rare chance to see a true Hollywood star in his element”, describing Spacey as having “the elegance of Sinatra, the wit of Dean Martin”.

The actor told The Telegraph his costs over the past seven years had been “astronomical”, leading to him losing his house.

In a separate interview last year, he spoke about having to sell his home and his fears that he could be forced into bankruptcy to pay his legal bills.

In the video shared on Instagram this week, he described Brown as a “wonderful journalist”, but criticised the newspaper for “undermining” his work “with a knowingly misleading headline”.

Space acknowledged that many people are genuinely homeless

“There are many people, as well all know, who are indeed actually living on the streets or in their cars or are in terrible financial situations, and my heart goes out to them,” he said.

“But it is clear from the article itself that I am not one of them, nor was I attempting to say that I was.”

–with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Topics: Celebrity
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.