Bali tourists stopped for checks in immigration crackdown

Source: Instagram
Video has emerged of immigration officers questioning people on the streets of Bali amid a crackdown on the busy resort island on tourists and those who overstay their visas.
The footage, which was shared on a local community news platform and is circulating widely, shows uniformed officers in safety vests approaching foreigners in Ubud.
“We’re on routine patrol and we want to check your passport and your stay permit,” one can be heard saying.
Indonesian authorities announced earlier this year that a taskforce would be deployed in Bali to address spiralling immigration violations by foreigners.
The South China Morning Post reported that about 100 officers, equipped with body cameras and safety vests, had been assigned to patrol 10 key tourist hotspots across the island, including the surf destinations of Canggu and Seminyak, the cultural hub of Ubud, and the seafood town of Jimbaran.
Bali, a perennial favourite with Australian holidaymakers, as well as those from Europe and elsewhere in Asia, had more than four million foreign tourists from January to July this year, up from 3.89 million in the same period last year.
Authorities have also reported a rise in offences. The Ngurah Rai Immigration Office said 148 foreign national were deported between January and July 20 24, including 66 who were people who had overstayed visas.
Balinese authorities have also shared on social media footage of people who have overstayed visas or had been working illegally being deported.
The immigration task force is also working with village leaders and local accommodation providers as part of the crackdown.
“We hope that the active involvement from the village to the regency will be the main force in detecting and cracking down on violations by foreigners,” Denpasar immigration boss Haryo Sakti said earlier this year.
Officers are also inspecting businesses such as motorbike rentals, nightclubs and beauty salons, and checking foreign workers have appropriate visas.
Visitors are also urged to carry their passports or stay permits – known locally as KITAS – at all times while on the holiday island.
Since September 1, everyone who arrives at Denpasar’s Ngurah Rai Airport must have first filled in an All Indonesia Arrival Card.
All Indonesia is a free new digital portal that unites multiple travel documents, including Bali’s health declaration forms, customs, quarantine and immigration declarations. It sets travellers back about $50 (or IDR500,000).
Travellers must fill it out before arriving in Indonesia. Upon completion, a QR code is emailed to the traveller, who then presents that to Indonesian immigrations and customs officials.
“You can apply for the e-Visa on Arrival (e-VOA) through the All Indonesia website after submitting your All Indonesia Arrival Card online, at least 48 hours before your travel to Indonesia,” the Australian government’s Smart Traveller website says.
“You cannot transit in Indonesia without an e-VOA or [regular] Visa on Arrival. Ensure you have a passport with at least six months validity remaining and can pay for an e-VOA or VOA to ensure you can transit or enter Indonesia. Check the e-VOA requirements from Indonesian Immigration before applying.”
The e-VOA is valid for 30 days and can be extended once for another 30 days.
Foreigners in Indonesia, including Bali, who want to extend their visa must first register their application online. They then have to go to their closest immigration office for documentation checks and biometrics, before an immigration officer can grant their extension.
There is also a $15 Bali tourist tax that is additional to the e-VOA.
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








