Advertisement

Aussie women driving each other to new Open heights

Source: X (WTA a la UNE)

Aussie Maddison Inglis has broken down with emotion after defeating her best friend Kimberley Birrell in a three-hour Australian Open epic on Tuesday.

Australia’s women have delivered their best Open performance in 34 years, with six moving into the second round.

Qualifier Inglis was the last of the half dozen to book her place, clawing her way to a marathon 7-6 (8-6) 6-7 (9-7) 6-4 win after midnight over Birrell, a fellow Australian.

Inglis, who hadn’t reached the main draw of any major since 2022, was in tears after the victory, saying it was bittersweet to beat her best friend.

“It was an amazing match with Kim. I absolutely adore her so it was really hard to see her on the other side. But I’m stoked I could play through those feelings and move into the second round. It means the world,” 28-year-old Inglis said.

Back in 1992, retired doubles great Rennae Stubbs and incumbent Billie-Jean King Cup captain Nicole Pratt led a fleet of eight Australian women into the second round.

With the progression on Tuesday of wildcard Taylah Preston and Inglis, along with Storm Hunter, Talia Gibson, Ajla Tomljanovic and Priscilla Hon, Australian women’s tennis is suddenly replicating its golden days.

Top-ranked local Maya Joint and No.2 Daria Kasatkina both disappointingly failed to advance in their opening round matches on Tuesday.

Playing in her first home slam since switching her allegiance to Australia, Kasatkina was devastated not to join her new compatriots after suffering a shock loss to Czech qualifier Nikola Bartunkova 7-6 (9-7) 0-6 6-3.

Russian-born world No.43 Kasatkina was grateful for the support from Tennis Australia for all of the local players.

“I’m super happy and proud to be a part of this community right now.”

Rallying victories for veteran James Duckworth and never-say-die Dane Sweeny on day three also guaranteed the bumper Australian contingent matched its best opening to the Melbourne Park major this century.

Contesting his 17th Open, and 13th in the main draw, 33-year-old Duckworth conjured a mighty comeback to down qualifying lucky loser Dino Prismic 7-6 (7-4) 3-6 1-6 7-5 6-3 in four hours and 12 minutes to ensure Australia have 11 players in the second round singles.

That is the equal-most since 1992.

Duckworth’s reward is a show-court showdown with two-time defending champion and world No.2 Jannik Sinner on Thursday.

Naomi Osaka enters Rod Laver Arena in style. Photo: AAP

Osaka serves up iconic look

Naomi Osaka stunned a full house at Rod Laver Arena with a fantastical walk-on outfit inspired by a jellyfish from her daughter Shai’s storybook.

With an outfit more likely to be seen on a runway than centre court, the former world No.1 wore a pleated miniskirt over pleated wide-legged white pants, with a dramatic white wide-brimmed hat that featured a gauzy white veil over her face and long train.

The Japanese star had a white butterfly atop her hat and on a matching parasol that she carried.

Her look was a collaboration between herself, Nike and fashion designer Robert Wun, who has dressed Beyonce, Cardi B, and Ariana Grande.

“Nike let me design this one, it’s modelled after a jelly-fish,” Osaka said after the match.

Stepping out of pants for the warm-up, Osaka’s playing attire followed the jelly-fish theme, in the colour of tie-dye turquoise with golden “tentacles” hanging off the dress.

Source: X (Roland-Garros)

The two-time champion in Melbourne was expected to move comfortably past Croatian debutante Antonia Ruzic but instead had to battle for a 6-3 3-6 6-4 victory.

Ranked world No.17, Osaka looked sharp in the first set, outclassing Ruzic, whose only other major main draw experience was in the first round of last year’s US Open.

But the 22-year-old world No.65 wasn’t fazed and took advantage of some errors from Osaka to level the match at a set apiece.

Four-time grand slam champion Osaka went down a break in the third set but drew on her big stage experience to claw her way back and fired a searing backhand to seal the win.

“It’s honestly one of my favourite tournaments and to start the year off, it makes me very happy,” the 28-year-old said.

“I think I served pretty well — she’s an amazing player and I’d never played her before and I hope to not see her on the other side of the net again.”

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.