Advertisement

English cricket investigating social media video

England cricket is looking into a video said to involve Ben Duckett.

England cricket is looking into a video said to involve Ben Duckett. Photo: AAP

A video said to feature cricketer Ben Duckett has been circulated hours after the sport’s England bosses said they would investigate claims of excessive drinking on the Ashes tour.

It is another problem for a disastrous trip. England is 3-0 down going into the Boxing Day Test and cannot win the series.

The England and Wales Cricket Board has released a statement saying it is looking into the video, which is yet to be verified, but has been widely circulated.

The video appears to have been filmed before last week’s Adelaide Test, as it refers to England being down 2-0 in the series.

It shows a man, identified in the video as Duckett, who is slurring his words and does not know the directions to where he is staying. The location of the video is unclear.

The video was posted on Tuesday night. Key had spoken earlier in the day to English journalists and said the team’s drinking habits would be investigated, following reports its mid-Ashes beach break resembled a “stag do”.

The squad visited Noosa between the second and third Tests.

England cricket boss Rob Key, who did not join the group in Noosa, has said he would not be happy if he found evidence of over-indulging.

“Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol for an international cricket team is not something that I’d expect to see at any stage and it would be a fault not to look into what happened there. From everything that I’ve heard so far, they actually were pretty well behaved. Very well behaved,” Key said.

The break on the Queensland coast had been long planned and designed to help players relax and unwind during an intense Ashes tour. A host of TV crews, photographers and reporters followed them to the resort.

“I have no issue with the Noosa trip if it was to get away and just throw your phone away, down tools, go on the beach, all of that stuff. If it goes into where they’re drinking lots and it’s a stag do, all of that type of stuff, that’s completely unacceptable,” Key said.

In response to the video posted on Tuesday night, an ECB spokesperson said: “We are aware of content circulating on social media.

“We have high expectations for behaviour, accepting that players are often under intense levels of scrutiny, with established processes that we follow when conduct falls below expectations. We also support players that need assistance.

“We will not comment further at this stage while we establish the facts.”

England trained at the MCG on Wednesday. Captain Ben Stokes was to hold a media conference in the afternoon.

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.