Advertisement

England out to target Shane Watson

England bowler Mark Wood is keen to renew his battle with Shane Watson in the upcoming Ashes after the Australian angrily called him a “net hero” in 2009.

Wood, who made his Test debut last month against New Zealand, annoyed Watson when – at the age of 19 – he was used as a net bowler when Australia played in Durham.

The 25-year-old, who took nine wickets in two Tests against the Black Caps, recalled the incident when speaking to BBC Radio Five Live.

James Anderson: why can’t we all just get along?
The ‘square Jeff’: Lyon’s secret Ashes weapon
Why Johnson should be dropped for the Ashes

“I had a famous incident with [Watson] in the Durham nets,” Wood said.

“I remember Michael Hussey asking me to bounce Watson – to which I wasn’t going to say no.

“I let him have one, he’s gloved it, and he didn’t give me the best of looks.

“Next ball, Hussey said: “Give it him again,” so I’ve bumped him again, and this time he’s absolutely smoked it, picked up the ball, threw it back down the wicket at me, called me a “net hero” and said that he would like to have a go at me.

“Well, he’s going to get his chance, so I’d like to have a go at Shane Watson one more time, and let’s hope he remembers me, because he’s going to get a few more bumpers.”

Wood hopes that he will catch the Australians unaware in the five-Test series, which starts in Cardiff on July 8.

“I’d like to think a few of the Australians don’t know much about us and aren’t looking forward to facing me,” he added.

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.