Advertisement

Tiger Woods to seek treatment after DUI charge

Police charged Woods with DUI after he refused a urine test.

Source: AP

Golf star Tiger Woods has announced he will be “stepping away” to seek treatment and focus on his health after he was arrested over a high-speed crash and rollover near his home in Florida.

The 15-time major champion posted a statement on social media on Wednesday (AEDT), shortly after pleading not guilty to a charge of driving under the influence.

“I know and understand the seriousness of the situation I find myself in today,” Woods wrote on X.

“I am stepping away for a period of time to seek treatment and focus on my health. This is necessary in order for me to prioritize my well-being and work toward lasting recovery.”

The post, which has had more than 1.7 million views and several thousand comments, asked for privacy for Woods and his family.

“I’m committed to taking the time needed to return in a healthier, stronger and more focused place, both personally and professionally,” he wrote.

Woods was arrested on suspicion of DUI after he was allegedly seen driving at “high speeds” on a Florida residential road before his Land Rover clipped a small truck and rolled.

According to a probable cause affidavit ‌obtained on Tuesday (local time), at the time of the crash Woods had two white pills in his pocket. They were identified as the opioid hydrocodone, used to treat pain.

The report said officers observed the 50-year-old to be lethargic, slow and “sweating profusely”, with eyes that were bloodshot and glassy and pupils that were “extremely dilated”.

A Martin County sheriff’s deputy wrote in the report that when asked about the collision, Woods said he was looking at his phone and changing the radio station, which caused him not to see a truck slowing before the crash.

He also said he observed ⁠Woods “limping and stumbling”.

No one was injured in the accident, and Woods was released on bail the same night.

An online court docket for Martin County, Florida, showed Woods entered a written plea of not guilty on Tuesday (local time) and planned to waive his appearance during an arraignment hearing next month.

The golfer, who said last week he was hoping to be ready to compete in the Masters from April 9, told the arresting officer at the crash that he has a limp and his ankle seizes while walking.

He has had a number of back and leg surgeries over his career, including following another car rollover in 2021 that left him with leg fractures and a broken ankle.

The PGA Tour also issued a statement on Tuesday (local time), saying Woods continued to have its “full support as he takes this important step”.

“Tiger Woods is a legend of our sport whose impact extends far beyond his achievements on the course,” it said.

“But above all else, Tiger is a person, and our focus is on his health and well-being.”

Tour CEO Brian Rolapp posted his own statement of support, describing Woods as “one of the most influential figures the sports world has ever known”.

–with Reuters

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.