Advertisement

President unveils ‘Trump-class’ US battleships

Source: Sky News 

US President Trump has announced plans for a ‍new “Trump class” of battleships, marking the start of an expanded naval buildup and signalling increased scrutiny of defence contractors ​over production delays and cost overruns.

Trump said the battleships would be larger, faster and “100 times more powerful” than any ⁠previously built, forming the centrepiece of what he called an expanded “Golden Fleet” aimed at cementing US naval dominance.

The program will begin with two vessels and is expected to grow to between 20 and 25 ships. The first of the class will be christened the USS Defiant.

The announcement represents the latest example of Trump rebranding ‌an aspect of ​the US government in his image. Trump — who has previously criticised the appearance of US warships — ‍will be personally involved in the designs.

He said the ships will weigh more than 30,000 tonnes, larger than current destroyers, and be equipped with the latest technology, including artificial intelligence and directed energy lasers.

“We haven’t built a battleship since 1994. These cutting-edge vessels will be some of the most lethal surface warfare ships … other than our ​submarines,” Trump said on Monday (local time).

Some US officials have warned that a ‌failure to build new battleships in recent years has handed an advantage to economic and military rival China. Trump downplayed China’s influence on the ​decision, saying the expansion was “a counter to everybody”.

He said the naval expansion would be paired ‍with renewed pressure on defence contractors to speed up production and rein in costs.

He said he will meet major defence businesses next week to address delays and overruns, and to examine ​whether executive ​compensation, stock buybacks and dividends are contributing ​to missed production targets.

“We don’t want to have executives ​making $US50 million ($75 million) a year, issuing big dividends to everybody, and also doing buybacks” while production of F35s and other jets languish, Trump said.

Reuters reported last week that the administration was planning an executive order to limit dividends, buybacks and executive pay for defence contractors whose projects are over-budget and delayed.

Trump and the Pentagon have complained about the defence industry’s expensive, slow-moving and entrenched nature, promising dramatic changes that would make production of war equipment ‍more nimble.

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.