Protesters clash with police at massive London rally


Police trying to maintain a separation between rival protest groups in London. Source: London Metropolitan Police
Violence has broken out as an estimated 110,000 people crowded London’s streets for an anti-migration rally organised by far-right activist Tommy Robinson.
In Australia, protesters from different ends of the political spectrum also shut down major city centres and sparked scuffles on Saturday (more below).
The London protest became unruly as some of Robinson’s supporters clashed with police who were trying to keep them separated from anti-racism counter-protesters.
Several officers were punched, kicked and struck by bottles tossed by people at the fringes of the ‘Unite the Kingdom’ rally, Metropolitan Police said.
There were nine arrests, with many more likely, the force said, as violence flared at the protest, which featured a video cameo appearance from Tesla and X owner Elon Musk.
Marchers carried the St George’s red-and-white flag of England and the Union Jack, the state flag of the United Kingdom.
They chanted: “We want our country back.”
Some Robinson supporters held signs saying: “Stop the boats,” “send them home,” and “enough is enough, save our children”.
At the ‘March Against Fascism’ counter-protest, the crowd held signs saying “refugees welcome” and “smash the far right”.
While the anti-immigration crowd was large, it fell far short of one of the biggest recent marches when a pro-Palestinian rally drew an estimated 300,000 people in November 2023.
The rival protest organised by Stand Up To Racism in opposition to the rally had about 5000 marchers.

London protesters pay tribute to slain US activist Charlie Kirk. Photo: AAP
Tesla boss Elon Musk waded into British politics, calling for a change of government.
He also railed against the “woke mind virus” and warned that “violence is coming” and “you either fight back or you die”.
“I really think that there’s got to be a change of government in Britain. You can’t – we don’t have another four years, or whenever the next election is, it’s too long,” said Musk.
“Something’s got to be done. There’s got to be a dissolution of parliament and a new vote held.”

Stand Up To Racism counter protesters also took to the streets. Photo: AAP
Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and is known for his nationalist and anti-migrant views, billed the march as a demonstration for free speech, and also said it was in defence of British heritage and culture.
He posted on X afterwards that, “This one is for you Charlie Kirk.”
“We came, we saw, we conquered. Millions hit central London in a show of patriotic unity like nothing seen before,” wrote Robinson.
“A cultural revolution has begun. The future belongs to us.”
The marches come at a time when the UK has been riven by debate over migrants crossing the English Channel in overcrowded inflatable boats to arrive on shore without authorisation.
The marches had been largely peaceful.
But toward the late afternoon, Unite the Kingdom supporters threw items at the rival rally and tried to break through barriers set up to separate the groups.
UK flags have proliferated this summer across the UK — at events and on village lampposts — in what some have said is a show of national pride and others said reflects a tilt toward nationalism.
Competing rallies cripple Australian capitals

A far-right rally under the banner of “Save Australia” was held in Melbourne on Saturday. Photo: AAP
Thousands took to the streets in Melbourne, Sydney and other capitals under the Australia Unites banner, made up of several splinter groups.
Organisers said participants were voicing displeasure over worsening cost-of-living pressures, declining health outcomes, rising violence, financial strain and climate change denialism.
Some carried signs with slogans such as “We’re not right-wing, we’re just right.”
Opposing groups led by Indigenous and Palestinian activist groups also turned out in a National Day of Action against racism and fascism in response to neo-Nazis allegedly raiding an Indigenous camp in Melbourne on August 31.
They shouted “always was, always will be Aboriginal land” in unison at Flinders Street Station.
Dozens of Victorian officers, including mounted police on horses, were deployed in central Melbourne to make sure there was no clash of demonstrators by setting up orange barricades.
The ABC broadcasted aerial shots of police forming long lines to cordon off areas between the demonstrations about 50m apart.
The national broadcaster also reported capsicum spray being used with one man being caught up in the melee.
Police were granted additional powers to deal with the protests, allowing them to search for weapons and direct people to remove face coverings.
In Sydney, Australia Unites protesters originally signalled they would march across the Harbour Bridge, but settled for a different route after police challenged the decision in court
They instead rallied in the CBD, ending up in Hyde Park carrying Australian and Eureka flags.
“Well done Sydney…no troubles, no dramas. Done and dusted,” Pauline Hanson’s One Nation candidate Stuart Bonds posted on social media.
Police said a 50-year-old man was arrested for breaching the peace and escorted from the area. Two people were also treated by paramedics but no serious injuries were recorded.
“A police operation has concluded with no significant incidents following multiple planned assemblies in Sydney’s CBD today,” they said on Saturday.
“Hundreds of police (were) deployed across the city to ensure the safety of both participants, as well as the community and local businesses.”
With Sydney’s demonstrations wrapped up, Melbourne remained on high alert into the late afternoon for the possibility of scuffles erupting.
Violent brawls broke out between anti-immigration protesters and anti-fascism groups in August, which led to police deploying pepper spray to separate demonstrators in Melbourne.
A group of men dressed in black had clashed with people at Camp Sovereignty in King’s Domain on August 31, following the March for Australia rally in the city.
The camp is a burial site with the remains of Indigenous people from 38 clans. It was first created in 2006 to coincide with the Commonwealth Games and re-established in 2024.
Ten men, some with links to neo-Nazi groups, have been arrested and charged over the alleged assaults and affray.
Victorian Attorney-General Sonya Kilkenny said the government supported peaceful protest but rebuked any protesters who planned to engage in harm and violence.
“Do not ever use the cloak of protest to go out there and cause crime,” she said.
“There is no place for protests that spread harm, that spread hate, that spread fear and violence, and there is certainly no place in Victoria for neo-Nazis.”
Saturday rallies were also staged in Hobart, Canberra and Brisbane, but police in none of these locations warned of similar clashes.
In New Zealand, some 50,000 attended the March for Humanity rally in central Auckland on Saturday morning decrying Israel’s military assault on Gaza in which nearly 65,000 have been killed since October 2023.
-With PA/AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








