Advertisement

Fears for Aussies on board after Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla

Source: Global Sumud Flotilla

Israeli forces have boarded the Gaza aid flotilla carrying activist Greta Thunberg and up to 10 Australians, apprehending them and taking them to an Israeli port.

A video from the Israeli foreign ministry verified by Reuters showed the most prominent of the flotilla’s passengers, Swedish climate campaigner Thunberg, sitting on a deck surrounded by soldiers.

“Several vessels of the Hamas-Sumud flotilla have been safely stopped and their passengers are being transferred to an Israeli port,” the Israeli foreign ministry said on X.

“Greta and her friends are safe and healthy.”

The Global Sumud Flotilla, which was carrying medicine and food to Gaza, consisted of more than 40 civilian boats carrying about 500 parliamentarians, lawyers and activists. Those on board are from many different nations, including Australia.

Six Australians on board have been named as Bianca Webb-Pullman, Daniel Coward, Surya McEwan, Juliet Lamont, Hamish Paterson and Abubakir Rafiq.

Webb-Pullmanon’s mother said she would not forgive the Albanese government “if” her daughter dies at the hands of the Israeli military.

Her vessel has reportedly been rammed by Israeli forces, while Sydney man Abubakir Rafiq is believed to have been travelling on the Spectre when it was intercepted early on Thursday.

Webb-Pullman is still en route to Gaza but as the danger rose, she sent one last message to her mother before throwing her phone overboard.

“Even if I die, don’t worry, it was still 100 per cent worth it,” she told her mum.

Her mother, Julie Webb-Pullman, has continued to receive updates from the flotilla’s family liaison but said the Australian government’s response had been “reprehensible”.

“No parent wants to see their child die,” she said.

“If she has to die because this government is not doing what it should be doing, then that’s an indictment of the government and I will not forgive them.”

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has advised Australians not to travel to Palestine since the October 7, 2023, attack by Hamas on Israel, which sparked the conflicted engulfing Gaza, and has added specific advice around sea access to the besieged strip.

“There is no sea access to Gaza. Israel has a naval blockade in place along the coast of Gaza. Don’t join others seeking to break the blockade,” DFAT’s Smart Traveller website says.

“Previous attempts to break the blockade have resulted in death, injury, arrest or deportation of foreigners.”

DFAT also advises “extremely limited” ability to provide consular assistance in Palestine.

To those in the flotilla, the desperate humanitarian landscape in Gaza makes the aid mission worthwhile.

Source: Global Sumud Flotilla

Juliet Lamont, another Australian in the flotilla, said about 30 Israeli boats had surrounded the flotilla and was pounding boats with water cannons, before attempting to board.

“It gets light at 3am, so we’re basically just going to ride it out for five hours,” she told ABC Sydney radio.

“It does seem at this stage they are unprepared to sink the vessels or to kill anyone.

“We’ve just got to keep steadfast, keep dodging them, keep moving forward.”

A Gold Coast man previously onboard the flotilla when his vessel was hit by a drone in early September also criticised Australia’s response on Wednesday.

“I was sleeping on the top deck, and I woke up to a ball of flames,” Yusuf Omar said.

“After the drone strike … I have heard nothing from the Australian government – no email, no phone call, no check-up.”

Prior to the interceptions, Assistant Foreign Affairs Minister Matt Thistlethwaite said he was concerned about the safety of Australians on board and called on Israel to refrain from “any unlawful or violent act against the flotilla”.

“I’m deeply concerned by the alleged drone attacks on the Global Sumud Flotilla and the risks to the safety of Australians and other passengers onboard,” he said.

“We understand people are distressed and want to respond to the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza — we also want to see critical aid being delivered.”

Israel’s Foreign Ministry said several vessels had been “safely stopped” and its passengers, including activist Greta Thunberg, had been transferred to an Israeli port.

“The flotilla [was] refused because they are not interested in aid, but in provocation,” it wrote in a post on social media.

Israel has throttled aid into Gaza for months, leaving more than 641,000 people facing catastrophic levels of starvation, according to United Nations data.

The action on Thursday (Australian time), disrupted a protest that had become one of most high-profile symbols of opposition to Israel’s blockade of the enclave.

The flotilla’s progress across the Mediterranean Sea had garnered international attention as nations such as Turkey, Spain and Italy sent boats or drones in case their nationals required assistance.

The mission had triggered repeated warnings from Israel to turn back, even as activists and governments lent their support.

Ankara said steps had begun to get Israel to release Turks and others on board, while Spain called on Israel to protect the safety and rights of activists.

“Tonight’s reports are very concerning. This is a peaceful mission to shine a light on a horrific humanitarian catastrophe,” Ireland’s Foreign Minister Simon Harris said on X.

The boats were about 70 nautical miles (130 kilometres) off the war-ravaged enclave when they were intercepted, inside a zone that Israel is policing to stop any boats approaching.

Israel began its Gaza offensive after the October 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack on Israel in which some 1200 people were killed and 251 taken as hostages back to Gaza, according to Israeli tallies. The offensive has killed more than 65,000 people in Gaza, local health authorities say.

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Topics: Gaza, Israel
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.