Trump hypes Gaza deal before Netanyahu talks
Source: Fox News
US President Donald Trump has voiced optimism about reaching a deal to end the war in the Gaza Strip, saying there is “a real chance for greatness in the Middle East”.
It came ahead of further talks between Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Trump did not provide specific details of a prospective ceasefire-for-hostages agreement in the enclave but Vice President JD Vance told Fox News that top US officials are immersed in “very complicated” negotiations with Israeli and Arab leaders.
“We have a real chance for Greatness in the Middle East. All are on board for something special, first time ever. We will get it done,” Trump said in a Truth Social post issued as he rode in his motorcade to his suburban Virginia golf club.
Trump will meet Netanyahu on Monday at the White House with the aim of reaching a framework for a deal, according to administration officials.
Trump said on Friday that talks with Middle Eastern countries were intense and that Israel and Palestinian Hamas militants were aware of the discussions, which he said would continue as long as required.
Netanyahu has told Fox News said it is possible to have amnesty for Hamas leaders under terms of the agreement.
“The details of this have to be worked out. But in previous statements, I said that if leaders, if Hamas leaders, for example, are escorted out of the country, yeah, if they finish the war, release all the hostages. We let them out,” he said.
Vance described himself as “cautiously hopeful” about a deal.
“I feel more optimistic about where we are right now than where we have been at any point in the last few months. But let’s be realistic, these things can get derailed at the very last minute,” he said.
He said the plan had three main components: Returning all hostages, ending the Hamas threat to Israel and boosting humanitarian aid in the Gaza Strip.
“I think we’re close to accomplishing all three of those objectives,” Vance said.
When international leaders gathered at the United Nations in New York last week week, the US unveiled a 21-point Middle East peace plan to end the nearly two-year-long war in the Gaza Strip between Israel and Hamas.
That plan called for the return of all hostages, living and dead, no further Israeli attacks on Qatar and a new dialogue between Israel and Palestinians for “peaceful coexistence”, a White House official said.
Israel angered Qataris by launching an air strike against Hamas targets in their capital Doha on September 9.
A Hamas representative said on Saturday that the group had not seen the US plan.
An Egyptian security official told the EFE news agency on Sunday that Trump’s proposal included a transitional government in the Gaza Strip without Hamas and the release of all hostages held by the group.
According to the report, the proposal offers Hamas leaders immunity from Israeli assassination inside or outside the Gaza Strip, conditional amnesty for members in the enclave and arrangements for those who wish to leave.
The plan, the source said, envisions an interim administration of Palestinian technocrats under an international commission led by the US, with Arab and European partners pending reforms to the Palestinian National Authority.
It also foresees a temporary international force under US and Arab command to ensure security and train a local Palestinian police force.
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.









