Man found alive five days after building collapse

Rescue teams in South Africa have found one of dozens of workers missing after a building collapse. Photo: AAP
A man has been found alive in the rubble of a building in South Africa that collapsed five days ago, as rescuers continue the search for dozens still missing.
A man has been rescued from the rubble five days after a deadly building collapse in South Africa in what Western Cape Premier Alan Winde says is “nothing short of a miracle”.
Eighty-one people were on site when the five-storey building collapsed on Monday in the city of George, east of Cape Town, officials said in a statement on Saturday.
They said 13 were confirmed dead, 29 were alive and 39 were still missing.
The survivor had been successfully extracted from the debris after 116 hours, Winde said on Saturday in a post on social media platform X.
After Monday’s collapse, rescuers used cranes, drills and their bare hands to try to reach those trapped.
Rescue operations were continuing.
—AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








