Trump, Iran threaten energy targets as war escalates

Source: The Heat
Iran has hit back at US President Donald Trump’s “desperation” after his latest threat to “obliterate” power plants if Tehran does not fully reopen the Strait of Hormuz within 48 hours.
Iran said it would target US infrastructure, including energy facilities in the Gulf, if Trump carried out his ultimatum, made barely a day after he talked about “winding down” the war.
Taking to Truth Social, Trump said the US would begin by destroying Iran’s biggest power plant.
“If Iran doesn’t FULLY OPEN, WITHOUT THREAT, the Strait of Hormuz, within 48 HOURS from this exact point in time, the United States of America will hit and obliterate their various POWER PLANTS, STARTING WITH THE BIGGEST ONE FIRST!” Trump posted on social media on Saturday (US time).
Striking major plants could trigger blackouts, crippling everything from pumps and refineries to export terminals and military command centres.
Iran retorted that it would target all US energy, information technology and desalination infrastructure in the region.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian slammed Trump’s “delirious threats”.
“The illusion of erasing Iran from the map shows desperation against the will of a history-making nation,” he wrote on X.
“Threats and terror only strengthen our unity. The Strait of Hormuz is open to all except those who violate our soil. We firmly confront delirious threats on the battlefield.”
Ship-tracking data has shown vessels including Indian-flagged ships and a Pakistani oil tanker have negotiated safe passage through the strait.
‘Bumps’ in Aussie oil supply
The threats come as six oil shipments to Australia were cancelled, highlighting the nation’s vulnerability to global supply disruptions.
Energy Minister Chris Bowen revealed the tanker cancellations on Sunday as he conceded there could be “bumps in supply” due to the conflict in the Middle East.
However, it wouldn’t trigger a fuel shortage in Australia.
Domestic petrol and diesel prices have soared, but the government has repeatedly said shortages in some regional and rural areas were caused by panic-buying rather than supply issues.
More than 80 shipments of fuel were delivered to Australia in the average month, Bowen said, but a handful had been scrapped in recent weeks.
“We’re aware of six boats that have been cancelled,” he told the ABC’s Insiders program.
“Some of those have already been replaced by the importers and refiners with other sources.”
Swinburne University expert Hussein Dia said six tankers being cancelled did not constitute a nationwide fuel shortage with supply chains adjusting and alternate shipments being sourced.
But Dia said it highlighted the deeper structural issue with Australia’s fuel system, given the nation imported 80 to 90 per cent of its liquid fuels.
“That makes us vulnerable to global disruptions, whether from geopolitical tensions, refinery outages, or shifts in international demand,” he said.
“What we are seeing at the moment is not a collapse in supply, but increasing volatility … if disruptions become more sustained or widespread, pressure on fuel availability could grow, particularly in regional areas where supply chains are more fragile.”
Source: US Central Command
Sunshine Coast University finance expert Sajid Anwar said the cancellations were a critical stress test for the nation’s energy resilience while people also battled rising inflation.
“With households facing a double-whammy of record fuel prices and rising mortgage repayments, the risk of a broader economic contraction has intensified, making responsible consumer behaviour – such as avoiding panic buying and adopting fuel-efficient driving – essential to stabilising the market,” he said.
Bowen said the flow of oil to refineries in Asia had slowed, creating flow-on impacts for Australia.
It was highly unlikely that Australia’s international fuel supply would be cut off all, but he admitted there might be rough patches.
“It’s much more likely that there’ll be bumps in supply, but that governments will work with the refiners and importers to manage those and minimise the impact,” he said.
Some service stations in regional areas have run dry as petrol prices soar to well over $2.50 a litre and diesel tops $3 in some places.
Bowen said Australia’s two refineries were both working “full pelt” to produce fuel for domestic use and the nation’s total supplies had not changed since the start of the conflict.
Opposition transport spokeswoman Bridget McKenzie suggested Australia should look to biofuels to help ease the shortage.
“Alternative home-grown Australian biofuel blended fuel can help reduce this exposure, support national energy resilience and reduce emissions,” the Nationals senator said.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








