World leaders condemn Israel’s attack on Qatar
Source: AAP
Australia’s acting prime minister has joined a chorus of condemnation of Israel’s attack on Qatar, saying it has jeopardised the chances of a speedy end to the war in Gaza.
Israel struck the capital Doha on Tuesday targeting the leadership of Hamas, which Australia designates a terror group, and said five of the group’s members were killed.
Qatar has served as a negotiator in peace talks between Israel and Hamas during the war in Gaza.
Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles said the Israeli strikes were a violation of Qatar’s sovereignty.
“They risk a ceasefire in Gaza, they do not help in terms of a return of the hostages and they also risk an escalation in what’s occurring in the Middle East,” he told reporters in Sydney on Wednesday.
“For all those reasons, we are deeply concerned about Israel’s strikes on Qatar.”
Israel has taken full responsibility for the attack, but the strike has angered many of its international allies.
Foreign Minister Penny Wong said Qatar had been playing a crucial role in the region and the strike undermined peace prospects.
“We don’t think it was the right thing to do,” she told Seven’s Sunrise program.
“They’ve been tireless in those negotiations, that’s the context in which this strike has occurred.”
US President Donald Trump said the strike “does not advance Israel or America’s goals”, while UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer condemned Israel’s actions.

Smoke rose over the Qatari capital Doha after an air strike targeting Hamas leaders.
Qatari leaders have said they remain committed to brokering a ceasefire agreement despite the attacks.
Australia was not given any specific information by Israel about the attacks before they took place, while the US was given a heads-up.
Israel’s action demonstrated its government was not serious about having hostages returned, Greens foreign affairs spokesman David Shoebridge said.
“This latest gross breach of international law proves Israel does not want a negotiated ceasefire and that the US will continue to enable their lawless violence,” he said.
Hamas, which controls Gaza, invaded Israel’s south in October 2023 and killed more than 1200 Israelis while taking about 250 more hostage, some of whom are still being held.
Almost 63,000 Palestinians in Gaza have been killed by Israel’s military response and many more face starvation in the war zone.
–AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








