Premier evades angry mob amid backdrop of charred hills
Source: Ten Network
Days ago, Alexandra locals were forced to flee their homes as catastrophic fire conditions fanned flames into their town.
On Tuesday, an angry mob formed outside their health service demanding answers from Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan, who was safely locked inside.
Allan toured Alexandra District Health celebrating the efforts of staff who opened the centre to vulnerable and scared residents as the blaze bore down on them on Friday.
After the tour, she spoke about disaster funding available to those affected by bushfires raging across the state.
But Allan avoided questions about the government’s preparedness failures for the 2026 fire season, stating the focus should be on supporting those affected, not spreading misinformation.
Outside, angry locals gathered after hearing of her arrival on a television news bulletin.
They demanded Allan meet them and answer questions about her support for Victoria’s Country Fire Service and rumours the town’s NBN had been cut-off on purpose.
Allan exited the health service via the back door as locals spread out across the car park hoping to stop her in her tracks.
When they realised she had left, they yelled “shame” at her staffers.
Local man Xavier Maher was among the crowd waiting for Allan outside the hospital. He said those in fire-affected communities just wanted to be heard.
He said having the NBN down was a real blow for morale in a town already cut off from the rest of Victoria because of road closures.
Since the weekend, Maher has held dinner parties to bring people together.
“The best medicine for everyone is humour,” he said.
“It’s a tight community and we all look after each other.”
So far only one home has been destroyed in Alexandra, with the Longwood fire expected to continue to burn for weeks.
Local volunteer firefighter Cathie Harper’s home was destroyed, a car and caravan on her property also badly damaged in the blaze.
Melted break lights and door handles were evidence of the intensity of the flames.
Standing on her property, the devastation brought with it an eerie silence.
The remains of a garden hose lay at the home’s entrance, a reminder of efforts to protect the much-loved family home.
The rubble and scorched earth left behind were a stark contrast with the property next door, wholly untouched by the fire.
Harper said nothing could be done to save her home and she and her husband were unsure whether they would rebuild.
“We’re the only house that’s actually in the town of Alex that burned,” she said.
“There’s not a blade of grass on that property that we had not renovated. It was a beautiful home.”
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








