‘Monolithic’ Hobart AFL stadium shouldn’t be built: Report

Source: 7 News
Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff says he will continue to fight for Hobart’s proposed AFL stadium, despite a damning planning report that says the “monolithic” project should not go ahead.
The state’s planning commission on Wednesday released its final report into the Macquarie Point 23,000-seat venue, which the AFL has made a condition for Tasmania entering the league in 2028.
It found that a fundamental problem was the size, location and geographical features of the site, which “do not support the disproportionately large, monolithic building proposed”.
While the cost of the stadium was originally estimated at $945 million, the commission believes it will be significantly more.
The venue would cause “irrevocable and unacceptable adverse impacts on Hobart’s spatial and landscape character, urban form and historic cultural heritage”, the report said.
“It offers almost no scope for the site to become a vibrant active place that is attractive to visit outside of major event mode.
“In very simple terms, the stadium is too big for the site and the benefits it will bring are significantly outweighed by the disbenefits it creates. The panel recommends that the project should not proceed.”

The report says the stadium would have ‘unacceptable adverse impacts’ on Hobart’s landscape character. Image: Macquarie Point Development Corporation
The report’s recommendation is not binding, however, and Rockliff – who signed the stadium deal – confirmed the Tasmanian Parliament will have the final say.
In a social media post, the Premier said he would keep fighting for the project, “because as a growing state, we simply cannot afford not to”.
He argued that the commission “massively underestimates” the social and economic benefits of the stadium, a new AFL team and “a supercharged events industry” for Tasmania.
“It’s the reason why new stadiums right across the nation are approved using special laws, not the traditional planning scheme,” he said.
“That’s why our process gives Parliament the final say.”
He reiterated his views later on Wednesday, saying: “My passion and my commitment to this project, the Tasmanian Devils, and the aspirations of our young people, is only strengthened… we can do this.”
The waterfront stadium is one of Tasmania’s largest infrastructure projects and has been deeply divisive.
Critics say it isn’t needed, given AFL is played at two existing venues and have expressed doubts over the site’s suitability.
They also argue it would add an unacceptable burden to the state’s already increasing budget debt.
In its report, the planning commission found the construction and operation of the stadium would result in a “substantial net social cost” to the Tasmanian community.
It estimates the government would need to accumulate $1 billion in debt for construction costs, rising to $1.8 billion over 10 years.
The state Liberal government previously pledged to cap its contribution at $375 million.
Source: Macquarie Point Development Corporation
A spokesperson for stadium opponent group Our Place said on Wednesday that the planning commission report should be “the final nail in the coffin” for the stadium.
“It’s time for the Liberal and Labor parties to start listening to the experts and the community, and abandon their obsession with this stadium,” Roland Browne said.
Labor leader Josh Willie said on Wednesday that his party understood the stadium was required for AFL and AFLW teams and it was critical to the long-term success of the club.
But he refused to guarantee support for the project when asked.
“The planning commission’s report raises fundamental questions about the future of the project and it’s clear there are several challenges that need to be overcome,” Willie said.
“The ball is firmly in the Premier’s court to explain what happens next.”
Even if the stadium wins support in the lower house, it faces a trickier path through the independent-dominated upper house.
A roofed venue at the site was mandated by the AFL in negotiations with the Tasmanian government over handing the league’s 19th licence to the AFL-mad state.
While some have argued for the deal to be renegotiated, AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon is holding fast to the “no stadium, no team” mantra.
Despite the uncertainty surrounding the project, the Devils have ploughed on with key moves, including recently announcing teams would enter the VFL and VFLW in 2026.
–with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








