Advertisement

Pregnant woman among three shot dead in country town

The streets of Lake Cargelligo are eerily quiet after the shootings.

Source: AAP

Warning: Contains the names and an image of Indigenous people who have died. 

A man wanted over an alleged triple murder was out on bail at the time of the shootings and could use his extensive local knowledge to evade police.

Julian Ingram is wanted for murder over the deaths of three people, including a young pregnant woman, in the isolated town of Lake Cargelligo in western NSW on Thursday afternoon.

The 37-year-old, also known as Julian Pierpoint, had “a long history with criminal matters” including domestic violence, NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Andrew Holland said on Friday.

That included being bailed by police and then a court after being charged with several domestic violence-related offences eight weeks ago.

A related restraining order was to protect one of the shooting victims – Ingram’s ex-partner, Sophie Quinn, a pregnant woman aged 25.

Holland said police had checked on Ingram “multiple times” before the shooting and confirmed he had been complying with his bail conditions.

“In the time that he has been on bail, he has complied with every condition,” he told reporters in Lake Cargelligo.

Sophie’s mother, Cathy, told the Sydney Morning Herald her daughter had been expecting a baby in March.

She described Sophie as gentle, loving and “just a fun girl to be around”.

Tegan Quinn described her sister Sophie as her best friend in an Instagram post mourning the loss of her sister, aunty and unborn baby nephew.

Sophie Quinn had taken out an AVO against her ex-partner. Photo: social media

More than 100 police, including tactical response officers, as well as army personnel, have been deployed to find the shooter, with the town’s 1100 residents urged to stay indoors and report anything suspicious.

The streets of Lake Cargelligo were deserted on Friday as locals stayed inside – many with their curtains drawn – and shops chose to remain closed.

Police are working to understand how Ingram, who did not have a NSW firearms licence, obtained access to a weapon.

His employment as a gardener with the local council meant “he’d have a good idea of the local area”.

“It would be feasible he could obviously maintain an extended period in the local area without being detected,” Holland said.

“Please do not approach him. He is considered armed and dangerous.”

Julian Ingram is on the run and wanted. Photo: NSW Police

Court records showed Ingram was due to face a contested local court hearing for two driving offences on February 3.

An apprehended violence order application on Quinn’s behalf was due for mention after being lodged on November 29.

In interim orders on December 3, Ingram was told to not assault, stalk, threaten or harass Quinn or approach her, her home or work.

It was not immediately clear what the domestic-violence-related charges were, or whether Ingram had entered any pleas.

Quinn and her friend John Harris, 32, were killed when bullets were fired into their vehicle about 4.20pm on Thursday on Bokhara Street.

Shortly after, Quinn’s aunt, Nerida Quinn, 50, was shot dead at a nearby home in Walker Street.

A man, 19, was also shot at the home but survived and is in hospital in a serious but stable condition.

Source: AAP

The dark hatchback car remained on the curb on Bokhara Street on Friday morning, with its windows shattered.

A young man and woman arrived at the street, blocked off by police, about 10am, and quietly wept.

Witness Letitia Bardawil said she heard up to four gunshots, believing they were fireworks at first.

When she came out of her house, she saw people trying to revive Quinn and Harris before family members arrived.

“It was honestly one of the worst things I’ve ever seen, seeing the family’s heart break,” Bardawil told reporters.

All the victims were integral members of the community, Bardawil said.

Holland said it would take a long time for the community to get back on its feet.

“A death in a small community hits a town hard. Three deaths is very hard,” he said.

The area commander was wary of detailing other areas police were searching for Ingram, who was last seen in a council-marked Ford Ranger ute with NSW registration DM-07-GZ and high-visibility markings.

The car does not have GPS tracking.

Anyone with information in relation to the gunman’s whereabouts is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

NSW Police have also appealed for anyone in the Lake Cargelligo area who may have mobile phone or dashcam vision, CCTV, photos, screenshots, or other material relevant to this incident. It can be uploaded here.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Lifeline 13 11 14

Men’s Referral Service 1300 766 491

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.