Targeted laws to stamp out obnoxious ‘part-time Nazis’
Source: X
NSW Premier Chris Minns has hit out at “part-time Nazis”, saying the days of them espousing racist beliefs while hiding their faces are over.
Fresh legislation was introduced into NSW Parliament on Wednesday, metres from where 60 black-clad neo-Nazis yelled Hitler youth chants in an alarming rally 11 days ago.
Though Nazi symbols are already banned in many jurisdictions, the new bans will expand to behaviour that shows support for Nazi ideology through imagery or characteristics associated with the ideology.
Anyone who repeats Nazi chants will face up to a year in prison or a maximum fine of $11,000 – a punishment that could be doubled for those who do so near a synagogue, Jewish school or the Sydney Jewish Museum.
Neo-Nazis, who often don face coverings and sunglasses in public, will find it harder to hide as police are given powers to order people to reveal their identity if it helps an investigation for a Nazi-related offence.
Source: X
Minns said the “novel pieces of legislation” – culminating with Wednesday’s bill – were designed to crack down on racist hatred.
“Individuals that wanted to hide in the shadows and be a part-time Nazi have realised they can’t,” he said.
“You’re really going to have to stand up and expose yourself to your family, your friends, your community, that you’re part of this obnoxious organisation.”
Police will also be able to order perpetrators to take down suspected Nazi symbols and those who refuse could be hit with a $2200 fine or three months’ prison.
But the bans won’t be in place for months, with Labor allowing close scrutiny by a parliamentary committee to minimise the chances of a legal challenge.
NSW Attorney-General Michael Daley said said the neo-Nazis’ “deplorable stunt” on November 8 necessitated “giving police and the courts additional powers to hold Nazi extremists to account for their abhorrent views”.
He told parliament no charges had been laid yet over the rally.
The bill came a day after NSW Labor had a second stab at a controversial push to stop protests near synagogues after earlier legislation was struck down by the courts for being too broad.
It would allow police to move on protesters who affect a person’s ability to enter or leave a place of worship.
NSW Jewish Board of Deputies President David Ossip said the amendments were a welcome step in ensuring the “despicable scenes [outside parliament] are never able to be repeated”.
The federal government has also taken action since the demonstration, revoking the visa of a South African neo-Nazi who attended the rally.
Matthew Gruter has been taken into detention and is awaiting imminent deportation, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke revealed.
“This bloke, for whatever reason, has decided that he can arrive in Australia and then tell a whole lot of Australian citizens that they’re not welcome here,” he told ABC Radio on Wednesday.
“Well, the person not welcome is him and he can leave.”
The move was supported by members of the Coalition and One Nation, but United Australia Party senator Ralph Babet defended Gruter’s right to free speech.
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








