‘Surfboards became trenches’: Israeli head visits Bondi
Source: AAP
Israel’s president Isaac Herzog has visited the site of the Bondi Beach terror attack, describing antisemitism as a global emergency that can only be overcome by communities standing together.
Herzog began his Australian visit in Sydney on Monday morning, attending the scene of the massacre that left 15 people dead and more than 40 others wounded on December 14.
After laying a wreath, Herzog placed a stone brought from Jerusalem at the memorial for the victims, in accordance with Jewish tradition representing “the endurance of memory” and “the unbreakable bond” between the living and the dead.
“The stones … will remain here at Bondi for eternity, a sacred memory of the victims and as a reminder that between good people of all faiths and all nations, we will continue to hold strong in the face of terror, violence and hatred, and that we shall overcome this evil together,” he said.
Herzog’s controversial visit has sparked plans for nationwide protests and prompted strong security arrangements – including helicopters and snipers – at Bondi.
He will meet politicians – including Prime Minister Anthony Albanese – and Jewish community leaders and is also expected to meet families of victims of the December 14 atrocity.
“In the face of this evil, we saw the very best of humanity,” Herzog said.
“Suddenly, here on Bondi, surfboards became trenches and stretchers as extraordinary ordinary people ran into the danger and saved innocent lives.”

Israeli President Isaac Herzog at Bondi Pavilion on Monday. Photo: AAP
Critics who oppose Herzog’s visit have called for federal police to investigate him for alleged war crimes.
Rallies against Herzog’s visit are scheduled across the country and ads condemning his visit appeared in newspapers on Monday.
“These demonstrations, in most cases, what you hear and see, comes to undermine and delegitimise our right, my nation’s right, the nation which I am the head of state of, of its mere existence,” Herzog said in Sydney.
“Terror is what undermines all the availability of peace and the notion of peace in our region.
“It was always the case and is always the case, and, therefore, terror is unacceptable by any means.”
Unlike Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Herzog is not subject to an International Criminal Court arrest warrant. He is granted customary immunity under international law as a visiting head of state.
Herzog’s role is largely ceremonial, but he has sparked outrage for previously being photographed signing an Israeli artillery shell. He later said the munition was a smokescreen rather than an explosive device, but described the signing as an error.
A United Nations inquiry found his comments after the Hamas terror attack on Israel on October 7, 2023 – in which he described Palestinians as an “entire nation out there that is responsible” – to reasonably be interpreted as incitement for genocide.
Israel has repeatedly denied allegations of genocide and Herzog subsequently said his remarks were taken out of context.
The Jewish Council of Australia launched a major advertising campaign on Monday, printing a public letter condemning the visit that was signed by more than 1000 Jewish Australians.
“We refuse to let our collective grief be used to legitimise a leader whose rhetoric has been part of inciting a genocide against Palestinians in Gaza and has contributed to the illegal annexation of the West Bank,” executive officer Sarah Schwartz said on Monday.
Protest organisers Palestine Action Group launched an urgent NSW Supreme Court challenge on Monday after NSW Premier Chris Minns formally declared the visit a major event.
The declaration granted police extra powers to block movements in the city centre.
A last-minute court hearing arguing the powers are excessive, unjustified and unlawful was under way on Monday afternoon before Justice Robertson Wright, hours before the rally was due to begin.
Police have warned protesters they will be arrested if they breach public assembly restrictions put in place following the Bondi attack.
One man was detained then moved on by police on Monday after shouting “shame, shame” at cars leaving Bondi Pavilion following Herzog’s visit.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








