Advertisement

Hate crackdown spells end for Australia’s neo-Nazis

Source: Anthony Albanese

Australia’s most prominent neo-Nazi groups will disband within a week as the federal government announces new hate speech laws after the Bondi terrorist attack.

The National Socialist Network announced on Tuesday in a Telegram post that it will shut as an organisation to avoid past and present members being prosecuted for recruiting people to spread racial hatred.

The disbandment will also apply to aligned groups White Australia, the European Australian Movement and the White Australia Party.

Concerns that members could be targeted for performing Nazi or “Roman” salutes were other reasons given for the hasty wind-down.

But there are fears the groups may just move their operations underground to avoid detection.

The legislation to be debated in parliament next week would give the federal government powers to prescribe hate groups that currently fall below terrorist listing thresholds.

“The National Socialist Network will be fully disbanded before 11:59pm Sunday the 18th of January 2026,” the group said in the Telegram post.

“If the laws pass, there will no way (sic) to avoid the organisation being banned.”

Organisers, supporters and recruiters of listed groups face 15 years in prison under the proposed laws while members face seven.

Disseminating ideas of superiority over or hatred of another person or group because of their race, colour or national and ethnic origin is also an offence.

The disbandment is likely a fatal blow to any chance of the group achieving mainstream political recognition after the White Australia Party previously announced it had reached enough members to form a registered party.

“We are pleased to announce that we have obtained greater than 1500 signups for members of our White Australia Party (Federal) project,” NSW leader Jack Eltis said on November 21.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke was contacted for comment.

Sewell confronts Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan

Source: AAP

The federal laws are being pushed through quickly as a response to the Bondi attack, but other jurisdictions were already cracking down on the National Socialist Network’s activities.

Neo-Nazis organised by the group protested outside the NSW parliament in November, prompting the state government to draft its own laws designed to crack down on the spread of the hateful ideology.

In Victoria, group leader Thomas Sewell faces charges relating to two incidents in August, including allegedly leading an attack on a sacred First Nations site in Melbourne where several people were assaulted.

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Topics: Nazi
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.