‘Out of control’: Arson crime wave sweeps city

A family of five had to flee their home after two cars were set alight in their driveway. Photo: AAP
A popular nightclub and a family home are the latest targets in a spate of alarming firebombing and vandalism attacks that is fuelling fears across Melbourne’s hospitality scene.
Prahran’s Electric Bar on busy Chapel Street was rammed by a white Mercedes about 5.40am on Monday.
Jerry cans were left inside the venue by the offenders and the bar smelt strongly of petrol. It is believed the offenders were interrupted during the attack.
About an hour earlier, officers patrolling the area following recent arson attacks spotted two people in hoodies and balaclavas on Greville Street.
They followed the pair to St Edmonds Road, where they approached a Mazda CX-9 with three others inside.
Inside the stolen car bearing false plates, police found two jerry cans full of fuel.
The four males, three aged 16, one 19 and a 20-year-old woman are being interviewed by police.
Police said the arrests were yet believed to be linked to the Electric Bar incident. But they would be assessed as part of the ongoing investigation into hospitality arson attacks across the city.
Sandy, who is part of the Reclaim Chapel Street community group, said crime in the area was out of control.
She often smelt smoke from the firebombing attacks on hospitality venues, describing the situation as distressing.
“This has been going on for years and the crime has been escalating,” Sandy, who did not give her surname, told ABC News Melbourne.
“This has to stop.”
Meanwhile, in Caulfield North – about five kilometres away – a family of five had to flee their home just after midnight on Monday after two cars were set alight in their driveway.
They were able to escape, although the fire spread to the roof of the double-storey home, threatening neighbouring properties.
Police established a crime scene and have deemed the fire suspicious.
Detectives are also investigating a suspicious fire at a kebab shop in Tullamarine, in Melbourne’s north, where a car rammed through the front of the shop.
It’s believed the fire was then deliberately lit inside before the offenders fled.
A crime scene has been established.
Police have yet to confirm whether the incidents over the past 24 hours are linked, although Operation Eclipse was launched last week to investigate the motives behind the targeting of hospitality venues.
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








