Advertisement

Police ask Andrew’s bodyguards to help Epstein probe

The UK Government is reportedly considering legislation to remove Andrew from the royal line of succession

Source: Sky News UK / X 

UK Detectives have urged Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former close protection officers to “consider carefully whether anything they saw or heard” is relevant to their investigation into paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein and his associates.

The Metropolitan Police said it was also working with counterparts in the US to establish whether London airports had been used to “facilitate human trafficking and sexual exploitation”.

On Friday, the force said no new reports of alleged sexual offences have been made since the release of millions of pages of documents related to Epstein by the US Department of Justice.

Andrew Police Epstein bodyguards

News of the former prince’s arrest has gone global, as the British royal family distances itself. Photo: AAP 

It follows Andrew’s arrest on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, which saw him held in custody for 11 hours before being released under investigation.

The force previously said it was looking into allegations Andrew’s protection officers turned a “blind eye” to his visits to Epstein’s island, Little St James.

Police are yet to identify any wrongdoing by close protection officers.

In another development, Sky News reported Friday night (UK time) that the Government will consider introducing legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the royal line of succession following the police investigation, according to sources.

Andrew’s primary accuser, Virginia Giuffre, alleged she had sex with him during an orgy with “underage” girls on the Caribbean island.

The former prince has previously vehemently denied all allegations made against him.

“The Met is identifying and contacting former and serving officers who may have worked closely, in a protection capacity, with Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor,” police said.

“They have been asked to consider carefully whether anything they saw or heard during that period of service may be relevant to our ongoing reviews and to share any information that could assist us.”

Police urged anyone with new or relevant information to come forward.

“All allegations will be taken seriously and, as with any matter, any information received will be assessed and investigated where appropriate,” the statement said.

Searches have been ongoing at Andrew’s former home – Royal Lodge, in Windsor, Berkshire – following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday.

He became the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested after being taken into custody on his 66th birthday.

Thames Valley Police, who are leading that investigation, are yet to receive any “early investigative advice” from the Crown Prosecution Service in relation to the allegation, it is understood.

Police are expected to continue searching Royal Lodge until Monday, the BBC understands.

The arrest came after Andrew was alleged to have shared sensitive information with Epstein during his time as the UK’s trade envoy.

On Friday, a helicopter circled Royal Lodge, with unmarked vans, believed to be police vehicles, entering the grounds throughout the morning.

A police presence remained at the Sandringham Estate but searches of Andrew’s Norfolk home concluded on Thursday.

The arrest of the King’s younger brother made headlines across the world, including a picture of him looking drained and exhausted, slouched in the back of a vehicle leaving Aylsham police station.

Maxwell’s family ‘astonished’

The family of convicted sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell have said they were “astonished” to see Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor had been arrested.

The former prince was taken into custody on Wednesday on suspicion of misconduct in public office after being accused of sharing sensitive information with sex offender Jeffrey Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

Posting on X, Maxwell’s family called for “transparency” and “evidence”, which they claimed the disgraced British socialite “never received”.

In millions of pages of documents released by the US Department of Justice, Andrew appeared to share reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore with Epstein.

One email from November 2010 appeared to be forwarded to Epstein by Andrew five minutes after he was sent it by his then-special adviser Amir Patel, while another the following month appeared to show Andrew sent a confidential brief on investment opportunities in the reconstruction of Helmand province, Afghanistan.

Maxwell was convicted in New York in 2021 of helping Epstein sexually abuse teenage girls and is serving a 20-year prison sentence.

In the Maxwell’s family’s statement, posted on the X account Real Ghislaine, they said: “Astonished to see Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested today over alleged misconduct in public office linked to material from the so-called Epstein ‘Files’.

“He is entitled to the presumption of innocence and a fair process – which our sister Ghislaine never received.

“We need transparency, evidence, and the same rules for everyone – not trial by media and political expediency.”

Former globe-trotter isolated

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor – the globe-trotting Royal Navy veteran who once enjoyed a life of luxury and prestige – is now holed up, isolated and disgraced, in a cottage tucked away on a vast Norfolk estate.

Stripped of his prince and Duke of York titles, his life is now a far cry from his VIP days dubbed as “Air Miles Andy” or the “Playboy Prince”, pictured grinning widely next to various aircraft or walking red carpets in smart suits and pristine military uniforms.

The former prince has even had to move house, giving up his 30-room mansion Royal Lodge, after it emerged last year he had been paying a “peppercorn” rent for decades.

He finally agreed to quit the property in Windsor Great Park, Berkshire, for a new home on the King’s private Sandringham estate in the new year, with the King personally funding him with an annual stipend.

Andrew is temporarily living at Wood Farm, while waiting for his new home, Marsh Farm, to be ready nearby.

It was originally a large farmhouse before being converted into two cottages, and over the years was used as a regular informal weekend retreat by the royals – particularly for annual shooting parties.

Andrew has a long association with hunting, and in his infamous Newsnight interview with Emily Maitlis, he denied throwing a birthday party for Ghislaine Maxwell at Sandringham, insisting it was “a straightforward shooting weekend”.

An undated photo released by the US Department of Justice last year showed Epstein, Maxwell and the then-Duke of York, holding a shotgun, in shooting gear on a moor, believed to be Balmoral.

But it is a pursuit that has been made more difficult for Andrew after giving up his gun licence.

Andrew was visited by the Metropolitan Police at his Royal Lodge residence in November.

The force would not say why the King’s brother had to give up his shotgun licences, but it means he can only use or transport his guns if accompanied.

Riding has been another one of Andrew’s pastimes, and he has been photographed riding privately in Windsor Great Park in recent times.

Also known to have a penchant for golf, Andrew could consider looking into the possibility of availing of golf clubs in the area should he wish to venture out in public.

He may have to accept a less-than-warm reception when out and about, though, if a former neighbour’s views are reflective of the attitudes around his new home.

A dog walker who lives near Royal Lodge – who wished to be known only as Ben, said:  “I think the mood of the nation is behind the fact that he should answer for whatever he’s done.”

“No one knows what (the royal family) knew or what they didn’t know, but I think they’ve done everything they can to distance themselves.

“They’ve kicked him out, basically, haven’t they? And that’s it.”

The more solitary life Andrew has found himself living could perhaps have proven to be one of the more profound and difficult aspects of his downfall to accept.

As a helicopter circles overhead and dozens of journalists stand at the gates watching unmarked vans, believed to be police vehicles, come and go, there has been no sign of family rallying round to support the fallen prince.

The whereabouts of Andrew’s immediate family, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, and former wife Sarah “Fergie” Ferguson, are unknown.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

—with AAP 

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.