Advertisement

Probe into Swiss bar fire widens to local authorities

Swiss prosecutors' inquiries into a fire that killed 40 initially focused on the ​owners of Le Constellation bar in Crans-Montana but have now widened to city leaders.

Swiss prosecutors' inquiries into a fire that killed 40 initially focused on the ​owners of Le Constellation bar in Crans-Montana but have now widened to city leaders. Photo: AAP

A Swiss town’s leaders could be liable for safety failures, documents show, as a current and a former local official are summoned for questioning over a New Year bar fire that killed 40 people.

Prosecutors’ inquiries initially focused on the ​French owners of Le Constellation bar, who are under investigation for crimes including suspected negligent homicide.

Most of those killed in the blaze ⁠in the Alpine resort of Crans-Montana were teenagers and some of the 116 people injured are still in hospital with severe burns.

Lawyers for the victims have sought an expansion of the probe to include local officials.

Crans-Montana’s mayor said the municipality had missed multiple annual safety checks.

Officials for the municipality did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

It previously expressed ‌regret over the tragedy ​and dropped its request to be a plaintiff in the case.

That would have given the ‍municipality the same status as the victims, access to case documents and, in theory, could have made it entitled to compensation.

The prosecutor’s office for Valais declined comment.

The fire was one of the worst disasters in modern Swiss history and has tested relations with neighbouring Italy, which lost six of its citizens in the blaze.

The tragedy has also sent chills through the lucrative ​tourism sector.

In their documents, prosecutors described the two new individuals called ‌for hearings next month as “defendants” in the case, documents showed, and said past and present officials could be responsible for safety failings.

The head of ​security for Crans-Montana has been called for a hearing on February 6.

The defendant’s lawyer Nicolas Rivard said his client ‍would reserve statements for prosecutors.

Prosecutors also called a former head of fire safety for the municipality on February 9, another document showed.

Reuters could not immediately establish when the individual left the municipality or why.

“(They) will ​be ​present on the ninth in the state prosecutor’s ​office,” the individual’s lawyer David Aioutz said.

Separately, Valais prosecutors ​sent a document on January 27 that formally rejected the town’s request to be a plaintiff.

“There are … reasons to believe that the municipality failed in its duty to enforce the various regulations it was responsible for, intended to safeguard the lives and physical integrity of the bar’s customers,” it said.

“Failings could be attributable both to staff members and to members of the town council, past and present,” it said.

Further hearings are also planned next month with bar owners Jacques and Jessica Moretti, who are not ‍in custody.

The couple has expressed grief over the tragedy and vowed to co-operate.

—with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.