Advertisement

Australia’s generosity on show for Bondi attack victims

Bondi Beach reopens to the public after terror attack

Source: AAP

Australians and people the world over have opened their hearts and wallets to support those killed and injured in the Bondi attack.

More than $5 million has been donated across various fundraisers since two gunmen targeted Hanukkah celebrations at Sydney’s Bondi Beach last Sunday, killing 15 people.

Online platform GoFundMe said there had been more than 70,000 donations from people in more than 60 countries to verified fundraising pages for Bondi victims.

The Police Association of NSW has also set up appeals for two officers injured in the attack, including one who could lose his vision permanently. They have reached nearly $750,000.

There have also been more than 25,000 blood donations since an appeal for help from Lifeblood in days after the shootings. About 90,000 Lifeblood appointments have been booked across Australia in a record-breaking show of support.

“We’ve seen nothing short of a tsunami of generosity and decency come our way to help boost supplies and help those in hospitals, from every corner of the country,” Lifeblood spokeswoman Jemma Falkenmire said.

“What began as a frighteningly large [need for blood] on Sunday night … has become a full-scale and national operation to accept thousands of generous gifts of blood.”

Those injured in the attack continue to be discharged from Sydney hospitals, with 15 still receiving care.

One person remains in a critical condition and four are listed by NSW Health as critical but stable.

The Australian National Imams Council has issued a message of togetherness for all preachers to incorporate in their sermons during Friday prayers.

“Islam calls believers to be builders of unity and peace, not agents of division and harm,” the council said.

“This is a time for unity, not division; for compassion, not hatred; and for standing together as one nation.”

The Jewish Council of Australia, which has criticised the Albanese government’s efforts to address growing antisemitism, said grief should not be politicised or used as a weapon to sow division.

“This is a week of profound grief for Jewish people and the entire nation,” the council said.

“No policy response from the government should lose sight of the human cost of this violence.”

—AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.