Advertisement

Bestiality, child abuse accused fails in secrecy bid

Details found on devices linked two alleged child sexual offenders, a court has been told.

Details found on devices linked two alleged child sexual offenders, a court has been told. Photo: Getty

A man charged with rape, bestiality and child abuse offences has failed to keep secret details of his case and its alleged links to “notorious” accused childcare molester Joshua Brown.

Michael Simon Wilson, 36, faced Melbourne Magistrates Court via video link from prison on October 14 as his lawyer launched an application for a suppression order in his case.

However, the application failed on Tuesday morning and the details of the case can now be publicly reported.

Wilson first faced court in July charged with 45 offences including possessing and transmitting child abuse material, rape and bestiality.

Police were investigating his alleged offending when they found information on his devices that led them to another accused offender, former childcare worker Joshua Brown, the court heard previously.

Brown has been charged with more than 70 offences related to his alleged abuse of eight children in his care between April 2022 and January 2023.

Wilson is not charged with any childcare-related offending.

His lawyer Heather Anderson said Wilson and Brown were not linked and were not co-accused as she applied to suppress his case from media reporting.

She argued there was a risk Wilson would not receive a fair jury trial if he continued to be tied to Brown.

“No doubt there will continue to be media interest regarding that person, the allegations made against that person are unprecedented and something that has and will continue to attract media attention – they’re charges that are unlikely to be forgotten,” Anderson said previously.

“The risk for Mr Wilson is the continuing media interest in relation to Mr Brown and information being reported about that which then links back to Mr Wilson.”

Magistrate Donna Bakos said she might be open to making an order that suppressed any information linking Wilson to Brown, rather than a full gag order, which the lawyer accepted as a better course.

Anderson said linking her client to Brown in any reporting on the case could prejudice his right to a fair trial as those charges were “extraordinary” and would not “disappear from the minds of people”.

Prosecutor Pierce Russell opposed a suppression application, adding there was a link between the two men. He said Brown’s case was “unprecedented and notorious”.

“The link between them is an evidentiary link and forms the basis of certain charges,” he told the earlier October hearing.

“There are discussions between the pair that occur … involving discussions about child abuse material.

“Police investigators … they located those communications and that’s effectively what kickstarted their inquiry into Mr Brown.”

Russell gave no further detail about the evidence in open court.

He said a suppression order was not necessary at such an early stage of the case.

“There’s no evidence before the court … that Mr Wilson’s name and his connection to Mr Brown is likely to remain in the consciousness of prospective jurors some 18 months into the future,” he said.

“We can’t proceed on the basis that juries are fragile and we can’t be overly sensitive about these things.”

Bakos adjourned the application to Tuesday morning, when she said she was not persuaded a suppression order was needed and dismissed the application.

She noted Brown’s alleged offending was “extraordinary” and had led to “considerable panic, concern and anguish in the community”.

But the prospect that Wilson might have links to Brown, “who attracts notoriety”, did not mean he was entitled to a suppression order, the magistrate said.

Wilson will return to the court on November 14 for a committal mention, while Brown returns to court in February.

1800 RESPECT 1800 737 732

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.