Advertisement

Trump issues ‘shoot and kill’ order in Strait of Hormuz

US boards oil ship

Source: US Department of War

US President Donald Trump has issued a “shoot and kill” order in the Strait of Hormuz while claiming the US has sealed the waterway “tight”.

Trump’s latest instruction came shortly after the US boarded and seized an oil tanker linked to the smuggling of Iranian oil in the Indian Ocean.

Ratcheting up a stand-off over Hormuz, Trump wrote on Friday morning (AEST): “I have ordered the United States Navy to shoot and kill any boat, small boats though they may be … that is putting mines in the waters of the Strait of Hormuz.”

“There is to be no hesitation. Additionally, our mine ‘sweepers’ are clearing the Strait right now.”

“I am hereby ordering that activity to continue, but at a tripled-up level!” Trump said.

He also said the military was intensifying mine-clearing operations in the critical waterway through which 20 per cent of all crude oil and natural gas traded passes.

His post did not mention steps to deal with the ​other means Iran has used to block shipping along the route: Mainly speedboats, missiles and drones.

In another post, Trump claimed the US had “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz.

“No ship can enter or leave without the approval of the United States Navy. It is “Sealed up Tight,” until such time as Iran is able to make a DEAL!!!” he wrote.

Meanwhile, the US Defence Department released video footage of US forces on the deck of the Guinea-flagged oil tanker Majestic X, which was seized in the Indian Ocean.

“We will continue global maritime enforcement to disrupt illicit networks and interdict vessels providing material support to Iran, wherever they operate,” a Pentagon statement said.

Ship-tracking data showed the Majestic X in the Indian Ocean between Sri Lanka and Indonesia, roughly the same location as the oil tanker Tifani, earlier seized by US forces.

It had been bound for Zhoushan, China.

The vessel previously had been named Phonix and was sanctioned by the US Treasury Department in 2024 for smuggling Iranian crude oil in contravention of US sanctions on the Islamic Republic.

The move comes a day after Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guards attacked three cargo ships in the strait, capturing two of them.

State television broadcast footage overnight of masked troops pulling up in a grey speedboat alongside the MSC Francesca, climbing a rope ladder to a ‌shell door in the hull and jumping through brandishing rifles.

The footage, presented with an action-movie-style soundtrack and no commentary, also included views of another ship, the Epaminondas.

Iran said it had captured both on Wednesday (local time), accusing them of trying to cross the strait without permits.

Iran’s judiciary chief Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ejei said the merchant vessels attacked in the strait had “faced the law”.

Iranian speedboats and marine drones were sheltering in sea caves off an island near the strait and keeping the US navy from approaching, he said.

On Wednesday (AEST), Trump extended a ceasefire while maintaining a US blockade of Iranian ports.

There was no immediate sign whether peace talks, previously hosted by Pakistan, would resume anytime soon.

The stand-off between the US and Iran has effectively choked off nearly all exports through the strait with no end in sight.

Since the February 28 start of the war between Iran, Israel and the United States, more than 30 ships have come under attack in the waters of the Persian Gulf, the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman.

-with AAP/Reuters

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.