Roberts-Smith to front court after night spent in cell

Source: Reuters
Former SAS soldier and Victoria Cross recipient Ben Roberts-Smith is set to face court for the first time as an alleged murderer after spending the night in prison.
Australia’s most decorated living soldier will face a bail court on Wednesday.
Late on Tuesday he was formally charged with two counts of the war crime of murder and three counts of aiding or abetting the same charge.
The maximum penalty for the charges is life imprisonment.
The 47-year-old was arrested at Sydney Domestic Airport, with his supporters claiming he was apprehended while in the company of his teenage twin daughters.

Ben Roberts-Smith is accompanied across the tarmac at Sydney Domestic Airport. Photo: AFP
Australian Federal Police officers nabbed Roberts-Smith when he arrived from Queensland on a Qantas flight.
Footage shows a casually dressed Roberts-Smith flanked by uniformed and plainclothes police as he is led down the plane’s stairs and across the tarmac.
He was bundled into a white four-wheel drive and taken to Mascot police station and later to the Silverwater Correctional Complex.

AFP officers and cameras were waiting for the Qantas plane. Photo: AFP
The former soldier’s supporters fumed at the timing of his arrest in front of his children, telling the Daily Mail it was calculated to inflict “maximum distress”.
Channel Nine News also appeared to have been notified in advance and had a camera crew waiting at the airport to capture exclusive footage of the arrest.
Roberts-Smith is accused of the murder of unarmed civilians while deployed in Afghanistan between 2009 and 2012 as well as failing to stop members of his unit from killing three others.

Ben Roberts-Smith is arrested on Tuesday after flying from Queensland. Photo: AFP
While Roberts-Smith’s courtroom travails began in 2017 when he unsuccessfully sued Nine newspapers for defamation, legal experts say his case moving to the criminal realm could be a watershed for war crimes prosecutions in Australia.
The prospect of a criminal trial for alleged offences committed overseas in the theatre of war was almost unprecedented in modern times, former president of the Australian Human Rights Commission Gillian Triggs said.
“It’s a very technical area of law and we have had very few examples in Australian national practice that would provide some precedents,” Professor Triggs told AAP.
She said Australia’s failed prosecutions of multiple alleged Nazi war criminals in the 1990s prompted authorities to be extremely cautious before launching criminal action.
But with two men now charged for alleged war crimes committed in Afghanistan, the floodgates of prosecutions might now be ready to open.
Another former SAS soldier, Oliver Schulz, was charged in 2023 with the war crime of the murder of a young man in Afghanistan in 2012.
He has maintained his innocence.
“These (trials) would … strengthen the willingness of justice department prosecutors to say ‘we’ve got the evidence here and we’ll go forward with it’,” Prof Triggs said.
Roberts-Smith’s case will be monitored internationally, Triggs said, with the decision to charge at home taking the matter out of the hands of war crimes prosecutors at the International Criminal Court.
However, before the case proceeded to any potential trial, Australian prosecutors would need to solve some complex legal problems, an international law expert said.
“A long time has passed, so that delay itself can create challenges in terms of collecting reliable evidence,” University of Queensland international law professor Rain Liivoja told AAP.
“The fact that the alleged crimes were committed overseas, and indeed in a location to which there is no easy access, makes the collection of evidence even more difficult.”
A Federal Court judge previously found Roberts-Smith was responsible for a number of killings but those findings were made on the balance of probabilities, rather than the criminal standard of beyond reasonable doubt.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








