Prime Minister evacuates residence amid bomb threat

Source: Mike Bowers
Federal police have evacuated Prime Minister Anthony Albanese from his official residence after a bomb scare, in the latest security threat against politicians.
Australian Federal Police went to The Lodge in Canberra, about 6pm on Tuesday, and Albanese was moved for several hours while they investigated.
“A thorough search of a protection establishment was undertaken and nothing suspicious was located,” a spokesperson said on Tuesday night.
“There is no current threat to the community or public safety.”
Finance Minister Katy Gallagher could not divulge details of the incident but labelled it “very troubling”.
“Our point of view, and the Prime Minister’s been saying for months, we need to take the temperature down,” she told ABC TV on Wednesday.
Gallagher said she couldn’t remember a previous such incident and suggested the “online world” had inflamed political tensions.
“”It would be great if people could disagree without issuing a death threat or threatening someone’s life at work, that’s for sure,” she said.

Anthony Albanese and dog Toto at The Lodge in Canberra. Photo: AAP
Opposition Leader Angus Taylor said he was grateful Albanese was safe and condemned threats against politicians as “abhorrent”.
“Pleased to hear that the Prime Minister is safe and well after being evacuated from his residence in Canberra,” he said in a post on X.
“Threats against any parliamentarian are utterly abhorrent, especially in a country built on expressing our differences through debate.”
The brief evacuation comes amid increasing threats to the nation’s politicians.
The AFP formed a national security investigations team in October 2025 “to target groups and individuals causing high levels of harm to Australia’s social cohesion, including the targeting of federal parliamentarians”.
Commissioner Krissy Barrett revealed 21 people had been charged nationwide since she established the team.
“The majority of these charges relate to threats towards parliamentarians, high office holders and the Jewish community,” she told a parliamentary hearing in February.
It comes just days after a Queanbeyan man was charged over online threats towards federal parliamentarians.
The 51-year-old will face court in April after federal police investigated social media posts that “contained threatening remarks towards two federal parliamentarians”.
It’s not the first time Albanese has faced threats.
On February 10, a man was convicted of using social media to menace, harass and offend. A death threat and a graphic slur were directed at Albanese and wife Jodie Haydon, the court heard.
Albanese and his senior ministers have repeatedly called for the social temperature to be lowered as conflicts raise domestic tensions.
The AFP has reported a spike in threats directed towards MPs in recent years, including harassment and offensive and threatening communications.
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








