Advertisement

Teenage boy arrested over Sydney mosque massacre threat

Police are investigating a concerning social media threat made against a newly-opened mosque.

Police are investigating a concerning social media threat made against a newly-opened mosque. Photo: Supplied

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested as police investigate a social media threat against a newly opened mosque in western Sydney.

A comment was allegedly posted on the mosque’s Instagram page threatening: “I’m gonna go Christchurch 2.0 on this joint.”

The alleged threat alluded to the New Zealand city where an Australian man killed 51 worshippers in a 2019 terror attack.

Western Australian police reportedly swooped on a teenage boy on Tuesday night in Eaton, about two hours south of Perth.

“Following a referral … to the Western Australia Police Force just before 5pm (Tuesday WA local time), a 16-year-old boy was arrested at Eaton, in south-west Western Australia,” NSW Police said late on Tuesday.

“He is currently assisting police with inquiries.”

Police said there were no ongoing threats to the community.

The mosque at Edmondson Park in Sydney’s west opened on Friday, the first day of Ramadan.

Australian Islamic House president Mazhar Hadid said the community was “profoundly concerned by this threat and take it with the utmost seriousness”.

“We also urge the public to remain vigilant and to stand united against Islamophobia and all forms of bigotry,” he said.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said whoever was responsible for the abhorrent threat should face the full force of the law.

“There is no place for this in Australia … racism and Islamophobia will not be tolerated,” he said.

NSW Premier Chris Minns said the threat was being taken seriously and a major police investigation had begun.

“Racist threats and Islamophobia will not be tolerated and will be met with the full force of the law,” he said.

“This is very distressing, particularly as Muslims right across the state are participating in prayer during the month of Ramadan.”

NSW Multiculturalism Minister Steve Kamper described the threat as heinous.

“Acts designed to intimidate and divide have no place in our society,” he said.

“Importantly, places of worship should always be a safe haven for our community.”

Federal Opposition Leader Peter Dutton also expressed concern.

“Any threat to attack a mosque or any place of worship is an abomination and has no place in our society. We should have zero tolerance for racism and hatred in all its forms,” he wrote on X.

Australian Islamic House said nightly prayers would continue after it had been assured of an increased police presence.

NSW Jewish Board of Deputies president David Ossip said the community unequivocally condemned the threat.

“A bigoted attack or threat targeted at any group of Australians is an attack on us all,” he said.

“No Australian should have to fear for their safety when attending their place of worship.”

NSW Police said initial inquiries had revealed the threat came from interstate.

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.