Advertisement

Crossbenchers demand answers amid reports of NDIS ‘razor gang’

According to media reports, an NDIS Sustainability Taskforce was established in January.

According to media reports, an NDIS Sustainability Taskforce was established in January. Photo: AAP

Crossbench MPs are ramping up pressure on the Albanese government to come clean on planned changes to the National Disability Insurance Scheme, amid revelations Labor has quietly established a “razor gang” to rein in costs.

According to media reports, an NDIS Sustainability Taskforce was established in January following a meeting between Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, Health Minister Mark Butler and state premiers.

It was reportedly instructed to advise on cost-cutting options for the $52 billion program ahead of the May federal budget.

“Disability and complex needs are not budget line items,” independent Warringah MP Zali Steggall said.

“Every cut to the NDIS affects someone’s life – whether it’s a child learning to speak, a young adult finding independence or a family barely holding on in an impossibly difficult situation.”

The Greens have accused the government of “using disabled people as a scapegoat” for balancing the budget.

“Labor’s razor gang isn’t worried about blowouts for AUKUS submarines or tax handouts for property investors – they’ve got their knives out for the NDIS instead,” Greens NDIS spokesperson Senator Jordon Steele-John said.

The Albanese government wants to curtail NDIS spending growth to 5-6 per cent in the 2026-27 budget, down from roughly 10 per cent last year.

At a recent healthcare summit, Butler raised concerns the scheme has “got way out of control”.

However, Australia Institute research director Rod Campbell questioned why the government never referred to the “exploding costs of tax breaks for BHP and Gina Rinehart”.

“Subsidies handed out by Australian federal and state governments are large, and they’re growing faster than the supposedly ‘exploding’ costs of social services,” he said.

The Australia Institute estimates that subsidies, concessions and tax breaks to major fossil fuel users and producers increased by 9.6 per cent in 2025-26.

Meanwhile, the NDIS grew by 7.6 per cent.

“It’s time to call BS on the idea that we can’t afford to look after each other, while governments simultaneously hand out billions to foreign-owned mining companies,” Campbell said.

Kooyong MP Monique Ryan argued the government’s handling of the reforms was already causing harm.

“The current process is cloaked in secrecy,” Ryan said.

“There is already real distress in the community because of a growing pattern of sudden and significant reductions of NDIS plans introduced without adequate explanation, particularly for children in the foundational supports pathway.”

Ryan is among several independent MPs who warn that reducing access or funding before alternatives are available risks leaving vulnerable Australians without support.

“While protecting the integrity of the NDIS is vital for its ongoing sustainability, the government is at risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater,” fellow “teal” MP Kate Chaney said.

“Foundational supports must be operational before children are transitioned off the NDIS to avoid our most vulnerable bearing the brunt of inadequate planning and implementation,” she added.

Earlier this year, the Albanese government delayed the rollout of the $2 billion Thriving Kids program by three months, pushing its start date back to October 1.

The initiative will provide services for autistic children and children with developmental delays, aged eight and under, who have low to moderate support needs.

“Thriving Kids is not yet fully designed, and it’s already been delayed once. State and territory implementation plans remain incomplete and opaque. Vulnerable children can’t be transitioned out of a working scheme into one that does not yet exist,” Ryan said.

Bradfield MP Nicolette Boele said administrative failures were already taking a toll on families.

“You can’t cut your way to efficiency when the system itself is the problem,” Boele said.

“Every week, local families contact my office because an administrative error has disrupted their support and left them scrambling.

“If we want to have a serious conversation about the sustainability of the NDIS, we need to be clear that the pressure isn’t just coming from demand – it’s coming from the system’s own shortcomings.

Steele-John argued there were far better ways for the government to raise revenue, including introducing a wealth tax or a 25 per cent levy on gas exports.

He accused the Albanese government of believing “that disabled people and our families will be an easier target than corporations or the super wealthy”.

“They’re wrong,” Steele-John said.

“Disabled people are used to fighting for their basic rights. They won’t stop now.”

This article first appeared in The Post. Read the original here

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.