Advertisement

Guy Sebastian to fly flag at Eurovision

ARIA Award winner and Australian Idol star Guy Sebastian has been announced as Australia’s entrant for the Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna in May.

SBS Managing Director Michael Ebeid said Sebastian was the perfect artist to represent Australia because he was someone “we can all believe in and get behind”.

• Australia’s Eurovision dreams come true
• Our Eurovision obsession

“Guy is an artist that reflects where Australia is now – he is very much a fitting ambassador for our music and our cultural life (and not just because of his love of cricket),” Mr Ebeid said on Thursday morning.

“I’m sure he will fly the flag for us wonderfully.”

Sebastian is a wise choice for the live performance as he was the first winner of the Australian Idol series in 2003.

He said he was taking the opportunity very seriously.

“There is a lot of weight on my shoulders (representing Australia ) and I’m not taking it lightly,” Sebastian said following the announcement.

Last month it was revealed Australia would be performing in this year’s Eurovision contest as a one-off wildcard entry.

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.